Dell B120 ACPI Boot Issues

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bludgard, Feb 3, 2014.

1. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #1 bludgard, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi again.
    I have the aforementioned laptop that will not take and/or boot install of anything unless it is something like Puppy with
    Code:
    acpi=off
    added to the menu.lst.
    I would like to install Windows but how would I configure the boot options top disable acpi?
    If I try to load XP, it stops at the dreaded 34 minute mark.
    Windows 7 stops at the splash screen with the four corners frozen before they come together.
    I installed Win 8.1 on VM and then created Win ToGo > cloned to B120 HDD > Win 8.1 freezes at the spinning "BBs". Win 8.1 clone works on all other machines from FDDs, USB HDD and VMs.
    Any help with killing ACPI on this machine permanently?
    Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    OK: So there is no response to this so maybe I asked the wrong question.
    Maybe I should have asked if it is possible to remove ACPI from Windows install media.

As it stands I have Slacko Puppy 5.6.0 PAE running stably on the machine. Hell; you know what? Forget about it. I have come to like the set-up and it will be one machine Windows will never see again. How 'bout those green apples, M$?

Thanks, all....
    R4d

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    ACPI is needed for power button, sleep, CPU throttling, and lots of other things. If you can't get your computer to boot, then obviously something is wrong with the hardware. Maybe the memory is going bad. Have you run Memtest86+? It's included in many Linux install distributions. You can also try a different hard drive on your laptop.

5. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #5 bludgard, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    (OP)
    That answered my question.
    I lied: Windows was resurrected on the beast. Go figure: Got a cat coming by in the AM and this fresh install will be handy troubleshooting his BUEL sensor configuration.
    Used the same XP install I created (thanks to nudges and kicks...L0L) on my first few visits to MDLF. MS even gave me a personal key for it over the phone years ago! Wouldn't activate over the phone after several hours and come to find out it was a hard drive error. Cool. Don't know how many times I used that key. Wonder if it will ever run out? I bet if I post it publically here it will be burned up in two seconds flat!:smile3:
    Peace & 1

Man, I smoke too much....

Edit: I always miss the small sh** > Check previous observation^^^^^
    I gotta cut out. Thanks, urie

@ goldfinger: I done pulled the m0b0 and swapped everything else several times. I knew why Win wouldn't install; just didn't know how to correct it. Thanks, though.