Dell Bios password reset

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by geoblow101, Jul 16, 2014.

1. geoblow101

geoblow101 MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2014
    Hey I am a newbee to MDL so bear with me. I recently bought a Dell E6410 Laptop at yardsale. I have been unable to get past the message: THIS COMPUTER IS PROTECTED BY A PASSWORD AUTHENTIFICATION SYSTEM.....WITHOUT CORRECT PASSWORD ETC. I AM FROM THE OLD DARK AGES AND THOUGHT I COULD JUST HOLD DOWN THE ESCAPE BUTTON ETC LIKE IN WIN98 AND GET PAST IT. COULD ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME. I AM ON A LIBRARY COMPUTER AND UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING TO HELP MY COMPUTER SYSTEM ID IS #J7B6RM1-1F5A. ANY HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED. geoblow101

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Unfortunately it won't be easy but there are usually 2 options for getting this off but both involve opening up the machine.

1. Locate and trip the "CMOS Reset" Jumper on the motherboard(Usually either the battery or north bridge chipset), then move the jumper back to the default afterwards.
    2. Locate and physically remove the battery from the motherboard(The small buttoncell battery) and count to about 30 seconds, then re-seat the battery.

Note: For both steps make sure you disconnect any external power from the machine(Battery and AC Adapter) prior to opening the machine and following the above info.

Source: My job and knowledge

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...