Dell Dimension C521 - bricked HELP!!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by slimtimdogg, Jul 16, 2012.

1. slimtimdogg

slimtimdogg MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2012
    Hi

I tried to update the bios on my Dell dimension C521 the but after rebooting I get a black screen and the computer beeps (2 short 1 long). I did a backup of the bios before flasing using the Universal Bios Backup tool which created a .rom file, how do I restore this file? What else can I do to restore the bios? I did try to create a bootable floopy with Phoenix_Crisis_Recovery tool but I wasn't sure if I did it right.

Any suggestions or help is welcomed!

Thanks Tim

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. slimtimdogg

slimtimdogg MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion and the file. I tried renaming the file and putting it on a bootable floppy but no joy, the desktop is trying to read the floppy drive but nothing happened after 10mins.

Not sure if it's the floppy disk or the image!

Any suggestions on how you do the awdflash?

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  5. slimtimdogg

slimtimdogg MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2012
    I got hold of another C521 and backed up the bios file using awdflash from dos. Loaded the bios.bin and awdflash file onto a bootable floppy but when the machine restarts it reads the floppy disk for 1min (which is a good sign) then stops and nothing happens after that. Left the machine on for 20 mins but nothing happens, the green light on the floppy drive stays green!

Could it be the version of awdflash that I'm using or the bios.bin is corrupt?

Would it be easier to buy a new bios chip with the firmware pre loaded and try soldering it to motherboard?

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #7 LatinMcG, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    does the working pc have a socket PLCC 32 pin ? u can hotswap bios while in dos then flash broken.
    (if not u can get a socket from a Dlink lan card or a broken mobo and have pro solder it)

try flashing older bios on good pc from dos. then make backup of that one to use on non booting with recovery methods.. some newer bios dont like to recover from old broken in chip.. need same old version to perform recovery.