Dell Inspiron 17-5755 Black Screen Needing Advice

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tgoodch1, Jan 26, 2018.

1. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Hi everyone, I've been lurking around for awhile, enjoy the community, just really don't have much to offer as far as knowledge goes so I keep to myself and try and learn.

Anyway, I've got a Dell Inspiron 17-5755 that's screen went out and doesn't seem to do anything really. It started acting up when a graphics driver was trying to update and it kept saying something to the effect that no driver found or made or something like that.

I've been through all the Bios threads and I know the sexy thing is to say it's the bios or something, but I'm just not sure about that (of course it's very possible that its now the bios) :rolleyes: . That's my attempt at humor, I'm pretty witty.

But, for some reason I'm thinking it's a hardware issue, but I just don't know or really know how to test for it. Taking in for repair isn't an option since I'm currently trying to get back on my feet after a long vacation from work (unemployed). And of course it happened about a month after warranty expired, so, I'm hoping one of you guys or gals might be able or willing to hold my hand so to speak and walk me through some steps or scenarios....

Also, if you get it dark in the room and put a flashlight on it you can see a faint flash and it goes from greenish to black color. Very minuscule though almost impossible to see.

BTW I'll take any suggestions, if it's the bios or whatever, I'm game to try and get this resolved. Sorry everyone, for the lack of information, I'm in a bit of a rush to get out the door, but wanted to post while it was fresh on my mind and will add more information in a bit or as needed.....

Any ideas, suggestions, or tell me i'm an idiot, I'm all ears, cause this is frustrating me to no end.

Thanks in advance,

Hope to contribute one day.

Chris

General Information

Service Tag 4H4DLC2
    Express Service Code 9742406978
    Computer Model Inspiron 5755
    BIOS Vendor Dell Inc.
    BIOS Version A12
    BIOS Date 8/30/2016
    OS Version Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Processor
    Manufacturer AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
    Clock Speed 2.2Ghz
    L2 Cache Size 2048

Memory

Available Memory 40.29 %
    Page File Size 8,900.0MB
    Available Page File 98.90 %
    Virtual Memory 8,900.0MB
    Available Virtual Memory 32.27 %
    DIMM A 4,096.0MB
    DIMM B 4,096.0MB

Network controller
    Adaptor Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Adaptor Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
    Adaptor Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
    Storage
    Drive C:
    Type 3
    Drive Size 483.2GB
    Total Available Space 453.9GB
    Used Space 29.3GB
    Drive D:
    Type 5
    Drive Size
    Total Available Space
    Used Space
    Drive E:
    Type 2
    Drive Size
    Total Available Space
    Used Space

Hardware

Type Description
    DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LH
    Disk Drives
    TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100
    SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Device
    Display Adapters
    AMD Radeon R5
    IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    Standard SATA AHCI Controller
    Keyboards,Mice & Pointing Devices
    HID-compliant mouse
    HID-compliant mouse
    Monitors
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Sound Devices
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    AMD High Definition Audio Device
    USB Controllers
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

2. TheOldScout

TheOldScout MDL Junior Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Do you get a display when in the bios mode? No driver is needed for that to work.

3. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    First step does it display the bios when it first boots, before the other stuff starts
    if it does not
    Next step is to separate the graphics function from the display
    Do this by plugging in a monitor and switch to it using the function keys
    usually Fn F8

Do that, and then we'll talk aout where we go next

...T

4. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    @TheOldScout @tonto11

Hey guys sorry for being late checking in. Thanks for the replies. No to answer the first questions. Nothing at all not a bios screen or anything. Just what I thought was originally a blank, black screen till I barely noticed the flicker at startup and put the flashlight on it.

@tonto11 no love with the extra monitor either.

Stupid question guys but if that things plugged up for awhile even without coming on, shouldn't the battery get hot or warm at least?

Power supply maybe? Replaced chord but guess it's possible the new ones no good?.?...

5. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Sorry about the double call out tonto

6. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  7. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Good information Tonto, I had actually read a little about post and And no post a little while back. This things pretty basic, the only light is a solid white light that comes on for 2 -3 seconds then fades out on the front corner with the battery or charge icon next to it.

While I've been messing with it the last couple of weeks I've seen it a solid amber color for awhile. I searched what the colors mean around the net awhile back but never really found an answer. From memory since Im not at the house just yet I thought the solid white stood for no post. Again I'll leave that for men and women smarter than me to say. Sounds like we're looking at a how and a prayer.

Wonder how they time that for the warranty to expire right after.

8. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Oh wow, I'm about 20?Minutes from the house but had to pull over to reply really quick. Don't tell me I looked everywhere but right in front of my face.

9. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Ok, so I've read through the links, @tonto11 there's no sound now so, no beeps to follow. and looks more an more like the motherboard but one thing I thought about a little bit ago.

There's a post somewhere in one of the bios threads where a poster said he thought his was bricked but a friend looked at it and found some bent pins in the cable ribbon ends. So I looked at mine and looks like a couple of them are bent pretty badly. Straighted them out the best I can, but still nothing. @LatinMcG you say you just fixed one very similar? You think there's any hope here or no?

Is it unusual for the pins in those ribbons to be bent or is it expected to a degree? Is that something that would cause these symptoms in any of your experiences?

10. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  11. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  12. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    @tonto11 much appreciated follow ups. I'm going to get on this right now. In the meantime to answer quick questions first.

- No, to my knowledge I never messed with the bios or they haven't been messed with by someone else. Just updates and things as requested by Dell or Microsoft through auto updates.

- The overheating is questionable. IMO, yes, it got hot on more than one occassion, I'd shut it down and restart, but is that really hot? or is really hot where it crashes on its own? Problem is, that I never really ran tests or benchmarks or anything to see what the system was doing or performing.

I really appreciate all the help, and that goes to everyone in the thread as well.

Will report back in a bit

Chris

13. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    To me that sounds like bad mobo.

14. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    I agree but he's got to do the tests to prove it,

AMD processors IMHO do not like heat and in a graphics intensive gaming computer there's lots of heat
    The HP I fixed had a plug in cpu so I could change it , if the gpu had come unstuck I would have had a problem
    reflowing the solder on a cpu or gpu is not something for the faint of heart.:D

...T

15. TrustMe

TrustMe MDL Member

May 2, 2013
    To me it sounds like a bad inverter. Especially when he said if he puts a flashlight up to the screen he sees something. Unfortunately I don't know how to test for a bad inverter.

You don't have a friend or a relative that you could borrow a monitor for a few hours? That would tell you if the motherboard is bad or maybe if you have a bad inverter.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    you can test the inverter by getting an old working screen, pull out the LED/florescent tubes from the old (working) screen and plug those into the inverter on the laptop. If they light up, the inverter is good. Look for a burnt out LED/florescent lamp

Edit: the voltages on the inverter are very high, so do not touch if it is powered on

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #19 tonto11, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    He already said in post 4 that an external monitor didn't work

so I guess we'll wait for him to do his thing

...T

18. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Ok,
    Finally got back home from being called out. Quick update, did as tonto11 suggested. And finally, some noise. 2 loud beeps. So next step is to put memory in one at a time, and see what happens. Then we'll turn either left or right.......

Chris