Dell Inspiron 17r 5721 recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by EC911, Mar 18, 2015.

1. EC911

EC911 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    Hi!

This is my first post on the forums and I'm trying to fix a bricked Inspiron laptop.

Problem: When the power button is pressed, the lcd doesn't show anything, the fan spins and then stops, after the laptop makes 1 short beep that starts over and over. According to Dell BIOS code, 1 beep could be a corrupted BIOS or bad motherboard. There's no water damage on laptop.

I've downloaded the latest bios .exe from Dell.com, 5721A12.exe, and extracted the .exe with 7zip. Inside, I've read the file isflash.bin with Phoenixtools 2.56. Looks like it is Insyde BIOS and the recovery file should be renamed to VAW0064.f?, so I figured .fd... I've renamed the .bin file to .fd and copied it to my 512mb USB stick formated to FAT.

Unplugged the battery and AC, put the USB stick and holding the "end" key plugged back the AC and the fans started spinning at high speed for about 30 secs but nothing happend. I've tried all the usb ports on the laptop and the usb doesn't flash on any port.

I'm kinda lost now, I've tried holding the Fn+B or windows + B key also but it doesn't work also.

What should I try next?

Thanks

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    take ram sticks out and put 1 in.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    optionally buy a CH341A programmer and make backup.bin from broken bios in chip then we can fix it with a dload and make new.bin to flash in programer and test.

4. darwood

darwood MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011

Any luck solving this issue? Same machine here doing the exact same thing.

Also tried the above with no change.

Thanks