Dell Inspiron 3650 long delay start times

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Palladin, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I'm helping out a friend and recommended that he get a Dell Inspiron 3650, 8GB ram with 1tb hard drive configured with Win-7 Pro 64-Bit. Nothing exotic, just for Mail and Web surfing.

It came in and I went to set it up, and when I turned it on, and waited for the splash screen, nothing happened. I checked the Disk Activity light, and it was off. So I waited, and waited, and finally after a minute or so, the computer started up normally. Figuring that there might be some sort of initial configuration that had to be run on the first time the system was turned on, I did a Shutdown/Restart. Same thing. It went through the normal Windows shutdown routine, then the screen went blank, the monitor light turned off, and the disk activity light wasn't showing any activity. Then after a minute, 65 seconds actually, the "Starting Windows" appeared and the computer started up normally. :confused:

I thought it might be the monitor, so I switched it out with another one. Same thing. Then I checked the Bios setting thinking something might be amiss there. I tried numerous combinations and changes, but the results were always the same. There was always a 65-70 second delay for the POST routine to kick in and the "Starting Windows" screen to appear. And add that 65 seconds to that the time it takes to load Windows, and knitting will become your hobby.

I called Dell Tech Support and they went through the regular drill, making suggestions, but none of them worked. They wanted me to download and flash the Bios, and gave me a link. That made no sense since the computer was made last week and you would think it would have the latest Bios, but ya never know.

I downloaded the file from the link he supplied and the Bios versions were the same. :mad: But I went ahead and let it run, and when it re-booted, no change. The computer takes one minute to get to the "Starting Windows" Screen. Then they suggested I download and install Video Drivers. Feeling pretty sure that wasn't going to help, but I did it anyway, and there was no change. After spending 2 hours on this monkey drill, I told my friend to box it up and send it back to Dell.

Either the computer is defective, or this series of computer is somehow configured with this "new" feature. I'm wondering if anybody else has run into this problem, because it's the first time I have ever seen such a long delay in the POST routine.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Palladin: That sounds like something's defective. Glad you sent it back.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    #3 Palladin, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    (OP)
    Yea, the first thing I did was to de-bloat the system. Although I didn't use a McAfee dedicated program, I just used Control Panel/Add Remove Programs, and then Find Everything to delete any instance of Mcafee. I also used SysInternals Autoruns to disable any McAfee stuff as well as the PC Doctor that Dell installs and any other program that loaded when Windows first starts up. I'm sure I missed something, but most of the Bloatware is gone.

I haven't tried Safe Mode yet, but that's a good idea. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

Just for the fun of it, before he boxes it up I'm going to make a video so everyone can see what I'm talking about. I can't believe Dell would allow a system like this past QC.

Now all I have to do is to come up with an alternate, HP sucks, Dell sucks, Lenovo kinda sucks. I guess I could build a system, but I'd just as soon get one configured from a major manufacturer that comes with some kind of support so I'm not #1 on the speed dial list when something goes wrong. Makes me long for my Dell 530 running Vista. Worked right out of the box and did so, trouble free for many years. o_O

4. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    You're probably right. I think something is really amiss with the system. I've never seen one act like this.

More news at 11.

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    This would be my first guess.

6. ypvs

ypvs MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    Tried booting with a Linux Live CD or USB??

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #8 PhaseDoubt, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    What does your friend the owner say about this? If it were me, I'd let him make that decision. Your OP seems to indicate the computer is brand new and still under warranty; first thing I'd do is ask Dell to replace it. If it "came in" from eBay or some such, well ... that brings on more talk.

You could try Dell's "restore to original" function; might have just been a bad initial installation. For the Dell we own, entering the Tag number (or code number; I forget which) on the Dell website allowed a download from which I made a restore flash drive.

8. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    I'd say go for another Dell. I've had pretty good luck recommending Dell to my customers. Their desktops are usually robust.

The alternative is HP-Compaq. And that's hit or miss.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #10 Oz, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    My guess is the hard drive is faulty. Seen it before with almost new Dell systems which has the 1TB Seagate ST1000LM003 or something like that. Drives are OK for an external storage/ backup drive, but not as an OS drive.

The Seagate ST1000LM00 is a re-branded Samsung, so guess it will eventually burst into flames. :D:D

EDIT, is it a desktop system;, still think it is the hard drive

10. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014

How right you are.
    It is one of the Seagate drives:

dell-seagate-drive.jpg

I thought the computer came with next day on site service, but it didn't. Only depot mail in service, so we just decided to return it for a full refund, and look around for some other options. I might get another one hoping that it doesn't come with a lousy crummy drive, but it probably will.

But not all Seagate Drive are bad, in fact I just discovered that I have one of those in my Dell Desktop daily driver and it's been working fine. And I didn't even get it from Dell, but from a seller on eBay. But it did come with next day on site service. But I never had to use it.

dell-desktop-drive.jpg

So if I decide to get an identical replacement I will be sure to get the next day on site service option, and then let Dell worry about any problems that might occur.

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Yup. I've had problems with crappy Seagate drives before. All the more reason to just send it back and not deal with it.

That would make a hilarious Youtube video. :D

But only if it happened to someone else and not to Palladin. :)

The only way to know for sure would be either to drop another drive in or plug in one of those diagnostic cards and see what the POST code is. If it's under warantee, just send it back and let the seller(s) deal with it.

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #13 Joe C, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Personally I think the first thing when Palladin's friend has an issue, he will be calling Palladin. If there's no hardware problem within the first hour of booting it up then I'm sure 99% of anything else will be a software issue and Dell isn't going to help anybody for free to fix a driver the owner installed or a malware/virus problem. Dell's or most other off the shelf pc's only have a one year warranty unless they pay extra, So Palladin's friend will call him even with a hardware issue anyway, because many manufacture's use the cheapest parts they can get at anytime, hence the 1 yr warranty. 99% of cheap hardware will most likely last at least one year, forget any notion of a better video card (weak power supply), and possibly upgrading the cpu too (oem bios won't permit better cpu). And that Dell isn't going to have an M.2 slot for the better SSD's either