Dell: Is there anyway to update bios without battery installed?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by catdog215, Jun 3, 2010.

1. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Hi all,

Please help me on updating bios for Inspiron 1525. Since inspiron battery is dead, no longer charging, i cannot update modded bios with just a charger. Every time i do an update, error pop up saying battery need to be 10% or higher to update bios. This is a window bios update. Is there anyway to update bios without battery installed? if so, please guide me.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    I guess i can't update without install battery that y no answer :sad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. neon1

neon1 MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    See this.. add /forceit command in Dos

View this link

club.myce.com/f7/how-update-bios-dell-laptops-without-battery-260714/

4. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    thank you neon1. you're a saver. i will read it.

5. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    #5 catdog215, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    (OP)
  6. Cadillac84

Cadillac84 MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2013
    Worked for me! Thanks very much. (April 2013)

I was lucky enough to have a floppy drive that I could attach using USB and the A04 BIOS of my B120 accepted it as a boot device.

So, I simply formatted a 1.44 MB diskette (Remember what those are? LOL) and selected the option to create a bootable DOS diskette.

When that was concluded, I copied M051A08.EXE onto the floppy and restarted the computer.

The switches "/forceit" and "/nvram" were accepted and my BIOS update was accomplished without a hitch.

Computer actually belongs to someone else and I was happy to not have to sell the idea of a new battery for such an old computer. Now the BIOS is up to date; Dell is very unlikely to add any newer versions. A few more files to add and a complete virus scan and I'll be ready to return the beast to its owner.

For a seven year old computer with only a Celeron and only 512 GB RAM ---- well, I wouldn't trade mine for this one, but it isn't bad.

Thanks again for the very fine tip about the forcing switches.