Dell laptop not booting up after Windows 10 update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Scott Stevens, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    Hello,

My Dell inspiron 15 5000 laptop (only 18 months old and bought from Currys) won't start up after I tried to update Windows when this was flagged as being out of date. This appeared to update 100% but then I started getting this issue.

Most of the time it just shows a black screen with the Dell logo and circle motion as if its about to start up but it never does, just gets stuck at this stage for hours.

I've tried force shutting it down and restarting by pressing and holding the laptop power button.

This has resulted in a couple of different screens on occasion but mostly it reverts back to the black screen described above.

I did follow the Dell Support Assistant system scan prompts (when it appeared on one of my force restarts) to check for any Hardware issues but none were found.

This then opened up the 'SupportAssit OS Recovery' which detected a failure during start up: 'Error description: OS_BOOT_FAILURE'. I clicked to repair files and no issues were detected.

I then just restarted.

Another screen which has appeared both during this latest issue and a few weeks ago is a blue screen saying:
    "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and them we'll restart for you.
    For more information about this issue and possible fixes, visit windows.com/stopcode
    If you call a support person, give them this info:
    Stop code: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER"

I don't want to do a factory reset as I've got important files not backed up.

Any ideas what this issue is and how to go about fixing it up without losing any files?

Thanks

Scott

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    how old is that machine...sounds like a bad HD i would swap out HD and install the OS and see what happens.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009

4. poeg

poeg MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2019
    Power off, turn on and get on that f11 key - Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Startup Repair.

If that's a bust same thing but use System Restore - Username - Password - Select a restore point.

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    F8, not F11.

6. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    I've tried F8 but it doesn't do anything.

I found a way to get to "Windows Recovery" and it displayed a blue screen saying "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or cannot be repaired. Error code: 0xc000000f".

Any ideas where I can go from here?

7. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Try
    Code:
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

8. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    If I can't get beyond the logo screen, where can I enter these commands?

9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Boot from windows 10 install media and run the command prompt, or just keep shutting it off while it's trying to boot until you get the options screen.

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is this machine purchase new or use or refurbished to me sounds like a bad HD

11. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    Brand new from Curry's costing £900 18 months ago. Annoyingly think it's only got a 1 year warranty which in hindsight is poor given the cost and apparent quality brand name (Dell).

I don't know if it came with a Windows disk, do new laptops typically come with one to allow me to try the boot from install media?

Couldnt see any obvious options to allow this from just shutting off and on either. What will the option likely be called? Thanks

12. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    You can download recovery usb from dell, if I'm not wrong, with all the informations needed to do it

13. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    In all the suggestions above will I still be able to retain all my files and paid for software?

I bought a downloaded version of MS Office (Home and Student edition for 1 user) from Curry's about 18months ago (cost £120), which I obviously want to keep. Is there something specifically I might need to do to reinstall this?

Thanks

14. lquser

lquser MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2010
    I just will try chkdsk and repair system partition, windows partition "chkdsk C: /r /f /x" your drive letters can be different. On dell there is auto update BIOS from WIndows Update, check to see in BIOS if corect mode is set for your Hard Disk, may be is AHCI or RAID.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    The first thing you need to do is to pull out that hard drive, connect it to another pc and copy all of your important data from it first. Then you can go ahead and try other methods of recovery but if something goes terribly south you'll still have your data some place else

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #18 urie, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    try update if possible first that way you may manage to keep your files also what is the exact inspiron 15 model there are quite a few 5000 ones because heidoc windows iso downloder has dell iso files available. You could also try booting from windows pe to see if you can recover your office serial number.

17. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    the $900 question is; can that disk still be accessed when it is out of the machine..if yes; backup your files. then clean it up. i would recommend formatting.
    if no, say goodbye to your files and replace it, making backups regularly.i would not recommend w10, as operating system. it is totally unreliable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    To late now but on most laptops first thing you should do is make backup disks or image.