Dell Latitude D620 XP PRO HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Badman24, Oct 28, 2010.

  1. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    I have a Dell Latitude D620 with Windows XP Professional SP3, and recently it got a virus.

    However i threw away the Recovery CD's and what not ages ago with the box (yes i know, im a noob)

    Now i have downloaded a XP Pro SP3 cd from this site and burned it and was about to install it, and then i remembered...

    What about the drivers???

    when i install XP SP3 Pro, will it fail to boot because it has no drivers, or can i download them from the dell site afterwards??? (i would post a link but i need 20 posts)

    ???? i don't have any other options, please help me someone.

    also i would NOT like to do a system restore, because i want to do a CLEAN system install.

    any help would be appreciated.
     
  2. 911medic

    911medic MDL Guru

    Aug 13, 2008
    5,778
    488
    180
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    thanks m8, it worked.

    another question though, i installed another winxp pro successfully but on another partition.

    could it be possible now to delete the other partition with the old windows xp pro on it?
     
  4. 911medic

    911medic MDL Guru

    Aug 13, 2008
    5,778
    488
    180
    Possible, depends on how you did it.

    Why do that???:confused:

    May have to repair MBR and boot sector. Not difficult at all..
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    Well......

    This is how it goes:

    first the above mentioned laptop had windows xp pro on it.

    then it got a virus.

    then i got windows xp pro from here and installed it on another partition because windows said having two operating systems on one partition would be dangerous.

    can i get rid of the first os now???

    Because in My Computer/Right click/Manage/Storage/Disk Management/

    it lists the previous os as "System" and the new one as "Boot"

    can i delete the previous OS??
     
  6. 911medic

    911medic MDL Guru

    Aug 13, 2008
    5,778
    488
    180
    Yep, delete it. I think the repair install may have been better for you initially though.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    now i can't delete it, it won't let me!!!!

    it's because it thinks its the primary os , hence it's listed as 'system'

    should i try to install xp pro over the old, virus infected partition????
     
  8. 911medic

    911medic MDL Guru

    Aug 13, 2008
    5,778
    488
    180
    You "should" format the drive and start over. This is not going to end well without some effort...

    Maybe try and delete the partition with Gparted or similar Linux distro live CD.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    Hmmmm....

    i was wondering, can't i just delete the partition through the Windows XP SP3 setup and then create a new partition and install over that?

    then delete the New Os i installed?
     
  10. sushil1576

    sushil1576 MDL Senior Member

    Jul 3, 2009
    336
    154
    10

    Thats because the Active partition when you installed the new XP was your old XP partition and new windows xp installed its boot files over there...So for you to get rid of your OLD system,you have to format that old partition either through DOS,or via Windows PE or some LINUX distro...But once you format your OLD XP partition,you new XP won't boot.SO for fixing that you have to enter into the Recovery console and run fixmbr and fixboot command from the command propmt....

    But i think the better option would be to format both the XP Partition and install your new XP on your OLD XP Partition...
     
  11. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    Thanks both of you, but i managed to find this tutorial:

    ht dancing tp://pcsupport. dancing about.com/od/ dancing operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1_4. dancing htm

    just remove the "dancing" parts, because i havent gotten 20 posts yet.

    anyway, follow the tut upto part 2 and read all the partition parts.

    could i just do the things they outlined in the tut?
     
  12. 911medic

    911medic MDL Guru

    Aug 13, 2008
    5,778
    488
    180
    delete all partitions and reformat as the tut explains. Basic clean install..

    I would recommend DBAN or similar for cleaning the partitions..Gparted is also very intuitive. Windows partitioner will do, but can leave some pieces..
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    thanks

    Thank you kind sir, i shall do as you say and post back any results.
     
  14. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    Thanks so much!!!

    It worked perfectly. thanks for the help!!
     
  15. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    hmmm..... now that i have installed XP on my C drive, and i have deleted my D drive, i have a whopping 36GB free space!

    how would i be able to resize my C drive so the 36GB is inside it?

    any software you could recommend?
     
  16. 911medic

    911medic MDL Guru

    Aug 13, 2008
    5,778
    488
    180
    Acronis disc director is good, partition magic works too...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    Yes!!

    ;) thanks so much. Acronis worked perfectly. I will always be indebted to you m8
     
  18. TheStar

    TheStar MDL Novice

    Feb 21, 2010
    20
    1
    0
    You may also want to load the DELL Quick Set Software on there. This will add functions like showing the volume on the screen when you press the Volume +/- buttons. It will also add other features, such as - shut the Internal Network card off when you are running on battery.
     
  19. Badman24

    Badman24 MDL Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    181
    23
    10
    Sorry for the late reply, i assumed i was finished with this. Thanks for the tip!