Dell Latitude E6330 - Bios update failure

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Videoclip, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Videoclip

Videoclip MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2019
    Hello,
    I try to update BIOS on Dell Latitude E6330 by file *.EXE on official website.
    During the update, around 30% it shut off, and now won't turn back on.

I'm sorry for my english. Thank you for any support.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. Videoclip

Videoclip MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2019
    Thank You very much for info.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i can likely get the bios from exe and add to the A01. link ?

5. Das_Human

Das_Human MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2010
    #6 Das_Human, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Not sure I understood your question.

As for extracting BIOS from the said exe... The BIOS exe file one can download from Dell's support website, DOES NOT contain the full BIOS image (there are two ICs in the said model - one 64Mb for the main BIOS (of which only 8 megs are used) and 32Mb one for EC (of which only 4 megs are used)). Here what it contains when extracted with Dell_HDR_Extract (BIOS version A21 shown).

Info.JPG

Which is
    Code:
    //section_0_A.21.data/meta/mtsg/sign

System BIOS (new modules + complete EC IC dump)

//section_1_A.6.data/sign

Embebded Controller ROM

//section_2_0.D.3.data/sign

Gigabit Ethernet ROM

//section_3_2.1.3.7.data/sign

Legacy Video OROM (option ROM)

//section_4_11.0.1.1392.data/sign

Legacy RAID OROM (option ROM)

//section_5_8.1.72.3002.data/sign

Intel Managment Engine Update ROM

//section_6_0.0.0.1.data

ACPI OS support

//section_7_3.0.0.18.data

Intel AntiThieft

//section_9_1.0.0.0.data

Confirm BIOS Replacement window BIOS version, model name, etc. section text

//section_10_1.0.0.0.data

Confirm BIOS Replacement window "what's new" section text
    As one can see, included are: updates for BIOS modules, updates for ROMs, IME and a compete EC flash image/dump. Nope no 8Mb main BIOS dump here.

So getting dumps from ICs by some means, is the only way to get the main BIOS dump. One can probably create BIOS with FIT, but I don't know how.

In order to avoid the issues with BIOS updates (as mentioned in my previous reply), it is NECESSARY to replace the ME region in the main BIOS IC dump with the "clean" ME region extracted from Dell's BIOS_update_exe file (make sure you download the SAME version of the BIOS as BIOS in the dump you are going to flash). Otherwise system specific data stored in the ME region will cause IME failure to function and subsequently make BIOS updates to fail no matter what.

Another side effect of IME not working is absence of IME device in the Device Manager or inability of IME tools to detect any IME device in the system (be it DOS or Windows version). Contrary to most other PCs, non functional IME in case of E6330, will not cause any noticeable issues (apart the mentioned above). On other systems it might show as:
    • self shutdown after 30 minutes (even when IDLE on BIOS screen)
    • fan speed issues
    Since this notebook has firmware protection in place, it is complicated to flash any modified/non modified BIOS using software methods such as FTK or FPT (say to flash BIOS with "clean" ME region on an already working machine on top of one with "dirty" ME region). Luckily the said model has a hardware option to disable firmware protection. There is a resistor which needs to be moved in order to do this. Here are some pics
    FWP_02.jpg FWP_01.jpg
    This will pull HDA_SDO signal high, thus disabling protection at hardware level. With protection disabled, one can flash modified BIOS with ease.
    DSC_1079.JPG

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if bios is A01. you might need to flash A05 or A07 before flashing newer.. some have ME or EC update

7. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    when doing a new DELL bios, I always make a USB image first.... infact you can have more than 1 (compressed) on the same USB. just uncompress what you want to use.... DELL is and has been FAMOUS for years, or Woops blow another bios update....and i have found that many DELL have had poor to worthless battery s from day one....

8. Das_Human

Das_Human MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Yeah, true. In the process of fixing that notebook, I've managed to find a newer BIOS dump (A06). Although it didn't fix the issue initially, after replacing ME region and flashing modified BIOS back, things returned back to normal. Worth noting though, that through the BIOS update sequence (it went like this A06 > A08 > A14 > A20 > A21), only after update A21 IME device finely appeared in the Device Manager.
    True! Hence there is no A07 version on the website present :)