Dell M70: Quadro FX1400 to D810 ATI x600 replace

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tonned, Jul 8, 2011.

1. tonned

tonned MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2011
    Hi,
    I have used the search a lot but didn't see this issue here.

I have an old Precision m70 with the Video card failure (it seems is very typical issue of Quadro 1400), the screen shows weird lines and patterns. I recentrly bought a compatible x600 ATI card and plugged into my laptop, i press the power button and after 3 seconds it turns off again, so i only see the green lights, sometimes i can see the DELL logo...and then OFF again.

Have unisntalled the Nvidia drivers but cant install the ATI ones since to run windows i need the Nvidia plugged in....

Is this something related to BIOS, to video card BIOS? voltage maybe? the "onboard" in BIOS is deactivated....

I would appreciate very much any tips on this, i want my little baby back with me ;)

Best regards,

p.d.: have recorded a "video" with the problems...if it can help...

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #2 x86, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    Not 100% sure, but I don't think there is something you need to modify in BIOS in order to get a graphics card working. I have changed several cards on a Vista machine without entering BIOS at all - just before the upgrade I would uninstall the display driver so that it forces a standard VGA adapter... but this is irrelevant to your case. Point is, I never had to adjust voltage / clocking or anything else ;)

All I can think of is that I d try loading BIOS defaults / reset CMOS settings and see if that helps. But for this you d need to make it into the BIOS setup.

If you can't enter the BIOS to do that nice and proper, maybe you can try removing the BIOS battery for 10secs or so. That will revert back to defaults.

Speaking of the BIOS - you may want to have a look at the latest version which is A04 (check your PM inbox). See what the fixes are, and if that affects your case. Just a suggestion :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tonned

tonned MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2011
    #3 tonned, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
    (OP)
    Thank you very much. I tried disconnectin the bios battery/cell and after doing this i have like 20seconds with the screen ON, telling that some changes were made, that i could press F1 or F2...and bangg!! OFF again.

It's weird, when i see the DELL logo the image is clean (using my Quadro 1400 is full of lines and squares) so the card is almost good....?¿

Maybe i should change BIOS settings to accomodate new graphic card...dont konw.

Regards,

4. james nishimuta

james nishimuta MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    Dell m70 driver needed for ati x600 128mb graphics card

I bought a used Dell M70 also. Bad video card. I bought a used ATIX600 also but needed driver. Before I installed it I searched Dell Driver Downloads and could not find a driver for it. Chatted Dell tech and was told my M70 will only accept the original nVida 256mb. Said it isnt compatable hardwarewise. Doesnt make sense as so many sellers advertise the ATIx600 as a "Dell D810/M70 ATI X600 128 MB GRAPHICS CARD".
    Anybody help me? Got a Driver? I am not a pro. Just advanced beginner. Dont need 256mb card. Not a gamer. I havent just TRIED it yet as dont want to damage my laptop. If I get a driver, i will give it a go.
    Best, James N:eek:

5. james nishimuta

james nishimuta MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    Dell m70 driver needed for ati x600 128mb graphics card

I bought a used Dell M70 also. Bad video card. I bought a used ATIX600 also but needed driver. Before I installed it I searched Dell Driver Downloads and could not find a driver for it. Chatted Dell tech and was told my M70 will only accept the original nVida 256mb. Said it isnt compatable hardwarewise. Doesnt make sense as so many sellers advertise the ATIx600 as a "Dell D810/M70 ATI X600 128 MB GRAPHICS CARD".<BR>Anybody help me? Got a Driver? I am not a pro. Just advanced beginner. Dont need 256mb card. Not a gamer. I havent just TRIED it yet as dont want to damage my laptop. If I get a driver, i will give it a go...

6. tonned

tonned MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2011
    Well maybe my card was bad, i flashed the D810 BIOS with a USB stick but no luck.

As far as i know you should uninstall Quadro drivers and reboot with x600 card, then in windows install the drivers. (no BIOS changes)

7. sizzlin321

sizzlin321 MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2011
    It does work. In fact, I am using the X600 in my M70 now. Need drivers? Use the D810 driver and you'll be fine.

(I bought the D810 and M70 on eBay, just to experiment)

8. SageDesign

SageDesign MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2011
    M70 graphics

You have evidently completed the job which need to do onmy existing M70. From what I read, you could probably make a living out of this one repair job. If you can give any pointers, I would be grateful, because I am having trouble finding a new graphics unit.:worthy: