Dell Models with FACTORY slic 2.1

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jiminheimer, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Can anyone tell me or lead me to a site that lists all the dell models with a FACTORY SLIC 2.1? update for Win 7... Especially Optiplex or Latitude? (any Dell model is fine)
    I own a computer shop and this is very important to me and my customers so I can upgrade "legally".
    I know that the Optiplex 360 A02 has it, anyone know of any others?
    Thank you in advance.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Upgrade dvd is like retail you don't need slic 2.1 so to do it legaly you need their dvd. even if you use windows anytime upgrade it is illegal if they havent bought licence.

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Factory slic 2.1 ?
    Well that'd be interesting to see which OEM manufactures that have slic 2.1 for which models, good idea..

But you can always look in the biosmod forum, maybe you shouldve posted there to.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The latest BIOS for the Lattitude E6400 has a 2.1 SLIC.

--
    SC

6. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yes, it has!! A20 bios for Latitude E6400 includes slic 2.1. Lucky for me:)

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Wouldn't you just go to Dell's site and check out all current models which include Windows 7 as the installed OS and then every model from 2009 with Vista or XP and see if they offer a BIOS update released around September - October 2009.

At least that is what HP did with their Vista->7 upgrade program.

Oh wait - that sounds like a lot of work - think I'll post and see if someone else might do it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Haha :p

Hm so HP did that with their upgrade discs ?
    Did they also include automatic biosflash ?.... You'd still have to flash first before doing that and not many would come up with that thougt i guess.

HP havent released anythin for my business notebook tho:(.

9. Stormcrow

Jul 30, 2009
    I just ran the SLIC Dump Toolkit on it.
    The machine in question has a corporate XP image on it, but I'll swap out the HDD for a home-use win7.

--
    SC

10. technoob

technoob MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2010
    I, too, have a Dell Latitude E6400 with A20 BIOS, however when I use the SLIC DUMP Toolkit it reads that I have a DUMP Error ! (SLIC Table is not found !). Shouldn't my BIOS have the SLIC 2.1?

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Unless your computer is new it shouldn't. Maybe 2.0 for vista OEM computers

12. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Looks like it doesn't support SLP Windows
    "Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 32-Bit
    Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 32-Bit with Downgrade Rights Service to Windows® XP Professional
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business with Downgrade Rights Service to Windows® XP Professional
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic"

No SLIC for you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. technoob

technoob MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2010
    How did you find that out? So what does it mean if I have no SLIC? Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it!

14. Stormcrow

Jul 30, 2009
    Huh?

It's supplied with Windows 7 or Vista, so no SLIC?
    That's ass-backwards!
    If it's supplied with Win7 or Vista, it *should* have a SLIC!

Anyways, in this thread there appears to be some models of the same computer / bios which shows a 2.1 SLIC, and others which don't. Don't I remember seeing some asset tag utility that 'unmasked' hidden SLICS in some dell computers? Perhaps they ship some without windows? Don't know.

--
    SC

15. ttmax

ttmax MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
  16. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    There are versions of all Windows that require retail activation.

Just because Dell supply the computer doesn't mean it is intended to be an SLP system.

These computers have a downgrade option to Windows XP which doesn't use SLIC at all.

The professional and business OS may be required to use retail activation or corporate KMS.

There are numerous ways OEM supplied computers activate without SLIC.

The posters were saying their machines didn't have SLIC.

So my reasoning is not ass-backwards!

And as a polite member who has one and can check this out posted there is a utility to "unlock" the SLIC that is hidden.

For your "edeification" an "ass" is a donkey - an "arse" is where you speak from.
    I don't have one so there is no way I can tell other than looking at what is available.

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007