Dell OEM Keys

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Justmyluck, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Justmyluck

Justmyluck MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    My Friend received a copy of windows 7 upgrade disk from dell, He does not even run run windows on the laptop (MAC/Linux) so he said he would give me the key/disk to use.

Will this key work if I mod my bios or use a loader (remember this is not a SLIP OEM key its one of the keys dell gave away when you purchased a laptop/desktop in the last 6 month for a free upgrade to windows 7)

Should I use the dell media (might not work as it will be for a dell build) or download one of the standard builds?

Thanks for your help /:)

2. chianf092

chianf092 MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I would find an untouched disk, and then just use the key. Hopefully it's not old style upgrade only keys like MS use to do.

3. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    The Dell disk should work fine, you may have to install Vista first as it is an upgrade serial number. But then there should be an option to do a clean install anyways...

4. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    Looking at Dell's X64 upgrade disk it is a standard installation disk, the extra drivers/software is all on a second disk. There is no $OEM$ folder and therefore I suspect no branding of any sort

5. Justmyluck

Justmyluck MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    Yer the old "upgrade disks would first search for a current install before allowing you to install"

in 3.11 you use to be able to put I think one of the lasts disks in and it tell the install that it was installed on to A: and it allow you to install the full version with out having to upgrade.

I dont know how win7 works if I try and install on non dell hardware, will it work right up until I activate or will it fail when I enter the OEM key.

Would It mean that I have to mod my bios before I install.

6. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    If the Vista upgrade disks were the same, as long as the key is accepted at the install routine, you will be fine. You will need to allow it to do an "online activation" is all, no check for SLIC or manufacturer's name. The disk, etc is the same as a Hp or Sony customer would recieve, except the label of course. The serial number is not brand specific

7. poi2

poi2 MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    I believe the Dell upgrade discs indeed aren't branded, nor do they require a prior install like normal upgrade discs. They're (non-SLP) OEM discs with OEM keys though. The key may well not work on a "normal" install since those go in as Retail instead of OEM.

8. C.S.I.

C.S.I. MDL Junior Member

Sep 7, 2009
    With Vista OEM Disks, these include the Key/Cert built in to the DVD itself.

And rely on Slic activation.

So I really doubt you can use that DVD and Serial in a NON Dell (with SLCI 2.1) PC, and have it activate with the serial you got.

Let us know when you find out =)

9. Justmyluck

Justmyluck MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    I googled and found someone was able to install it on a gateway laptop will have to test and let you guys know.

10. Analyz3r

Analyz3r MDL Junior Member

Oct 27, 2009
    CSI is right, you can install it on a non Dell pc but then you'll have to activate it. No automatic activation will work.

11. Justmyluck

Justmyluck MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    But it should activate as its a real key ? (I know it will need to be activated as it not a SLIP OEM Key)

12. gti-guy

gti-guy MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    yup, i've done the same thing. got a free win7 upgrade from dell, and used it on a generic computer. put the key and activated

13. quorn23

quorn23 MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    you don't need a vista installation to use an update dvd

just install the update dvd without a key.
    make all updates. if all updates are done

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE

Chance MediaBootInstall 1 to 0.

now start a cmd (probably as admin)
    and type slmgr /rearm

now reboot.

after the reboot you can activate your windows with the key.