Dell OEM Win7 - help please!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ServiceTag, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ServiceTag

ServiceTag MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    I got new Dell XPS machine with Vista (pre Oct 22) with option to get free Win7 64bit Ultimate upgrade from Dell/MS. I checked this morning and freaking MS postponed shipment of Win7 DVD already 3rd time till Dec 16th, 09!!
    Also I got Win 7 Ultimate 64bit with key attending MS Event. I know I could this dvd to install Win7 on Dell, however I don't want to waste this key for something I suppose to have it for free. (planning to use it for my laptop once I get it fix)
    Here is my question: is there any way I can use this DVD to create OEM Dell DVD install? I don't think I am breaking any licensing rules in such a case. Or do I?
    I am getting sick of this MS waiting game. I understand I could use some loaders to make it temporary work but I would prefer to do it once for all with no worry to do some tweaks/re-installations later on.
    TIA

2. mumbler

mumbler MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2009
    why not just download the oem dvd and install it? sounds like you have the bios to not worry about it.

3. ServiceTag

ServiceTag MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    I already tried that, but after unzipping it's only Win7 Pro version. I would like to match my version Dell OEM Ultimate which I hope I will get some day...
    Can you please PM me or give me a hint where to download Dell OEM Ulimate?

4. BuonaDomenica

BuonaDomenica MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2009
    could not agree more with your statement. Check for the latest Bios update for your Dell XPS and then see if there is Slic 2.1 in there. (Slic Dump Tool Kit of Everest)

Once you have a slic 2.1 Bios then you are ready to go. Download a clean image of Win7 and install it. The Repository sticky threat will be a good guide. No need to wait for the Dell DVD.

5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Depends on the SLIC table version - it is probably 2.0 but you should be able to download an update from Dell - I did for my partner's HP and clean installed Ultimate instead of Home Premium.

Once the HP software updated the BIOS it was simple.

The links on here for downloading Win7 mostly do not work for me but the torrents should.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    He also needs dell certificate and oem slp key, which are available on forum. :)

7. cuteking

cuteking MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    Searchand download $oem$ for dell Ultimate. Put it in the folder SOURCES of your dics obtained from MS with Ultraiso, then burn it. It's your own DELL OEM Ultimate.

8. ServiceTag

ServiceTag MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    OK, I checked my Dell machine and it has Bios Slick v2.1, so I should be good.

However I had no luck to locate good version of Dell OEM 64 Ultimate DVD on web (either wrong version or hash table didn't match, so I give up). After all I took your advise to create own disc.

Before final burn I would like to double-check a couple things, just be sure.
    I created "Bootable UDF" image using UltraISO. Then I added Dell $OEM$ into "sources".
    Now:
    1/ do I need to add also "ei.cfg" file? If yes, into "sources" or $OEM" folder?
    2/ this is what is inside. Do I need to modify anything?

[EditionID]
    Ultimate
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

3/ what about dell certificate and oem slp key? Do I need those as well? If yes, what's the proper location for those?

If anybody can help to give me final blessing I would REALLY appreciate!!

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    1) I would not add an ei.cfg because then you wont be able to select an edition when you install.

2) Rather than explaining it all; i could give you a copy of the OEM folder i am using myself. It contains the Dell Cert and Dell Keys for all editions (right one will be installed automatically) plus the silver Dell logos and Dell OEM info for the System panel. If you want it, just let me know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. lifedigital

lifedigital MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2009
    Hi there, I have also mod my main board with slic2.1. Now I like to know how to make OEM DVD(where to put cert etc.....). I did one but doesn't activated so I have to use Daz loader to activate. I found DISM tool but I don't have WIM file. Thanks in advanced.

11. ServiceTag

ServiceTag MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    Please do! I can't wait to reload my machine with Win7...

12. laynlow

laynlow MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2007
    I second this request can you upload a link for all to d/l?

13. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #13 Phazor, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  14. ServiceTag

ServiceTag MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    #14 ServiceTag, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)