DELL Optiplex 745 with 8 GB of RAM

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mohamedkamel, Aug 12, 2013.

1. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Hi MDLians (Or you prefer MDLions) :)

I have a DELL Optiplex 745, CPU 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo. But, I upgraded my RAM from 2GB to 8GB. Taking into consideration that my processor is 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, is using 8GB of RAM wise or just waste of money. Worth mentioning that I upgraded my VGA card to ATI 1GB as well.

As when I open the task manager and have a look at performance during opening many programs, I see that the CPU usage is about to get to its maximum level while RAM usage is about 4GB. So, I think that I have 4GB of RAM not used in any activity! Am I right?

Another thing, is there a way to make use of those 4GB of RAM in any way, in case they are not used?

Thanks for help :)

Mohamed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If the Ram usage is already at 4GB or 50%, while take a look at the performance, the real use will be more high in the same moment you start to really work with any of the open apps. May to install an apps which shows the Ram Usage in real time at any stage, would give you a more real picture what is done with the memory.

On this computer I use right now, I've 12GB memory installed and run an Memory Gadget for to monitor the Ram usage as well as CPU and Network. The use of my memory goes up to 8.5GB within normal working. I had an Ram-Disk installed with 4GB a few weeks back and found that the memory was going even faster to the full use of the rest Memory of 8GB! Uninstalled the Ram-Disk and the time for to get 8GB+ Memory used were slow down.

Conclusion for me, no ,ore use of Ram-Disk or decrease of the Memory!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you pisthai for your reply.
    The point is I need to know if there should be a ratio between CPU capacity and RAM volume?

I have a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, is using more RAM makes much difference in performance? As we all know, the CPU is the most important thing in this process?

I can't get the below, could you please explain.

4. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #4 msr, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    He is saying to install ram disk, that is more likely to give you performance boost over extra memory.

Thats what he is saying above, i would think.

5. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you! I will give it a try :)