dell optiplex gx270 sff pheonix bios update a07. no hard drive in boot option??

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by wjc, Jun 7, 2010.

1. wjc

wjc MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2010
    Hi. As im new to this wonderful site and seeing some of the stuff your all doing i feel like a total idiot to be asking this. Though i have been building and upgrading pc`s for a good few years ive deliberately avoided branded machines. Always seem more hassle than they`re worth. Anyway i purchased a dell optiplex gx270 sff a year or so ago at a car boot sale. Had no hard drive, ram or cd/dvd drive. No problem as plenty of bits at home. I dug it out recently as i found a use for it. Once running i went to dell site, new
    drivers etc and thought id flash the bios too. All went to plan seemingly until it re booted (or rather didnt). Noticed in new bios there was no option to boot from hard drive. Just 2x1.44 floppy (even though it only has 1x1.44 floppy drive???) or boot from cd/dvd. I booted it with the help of dvd boot disk and went to dell live chat support. They wouldnt help me because i wasnt the owner they had listed for that machines serial number and suggested most stringently that i best try to find the previous owner and transfer the ownership. All that for a 7 year old machine. if it wasnt for the fact i need a small pc of that type i probably wouldve thrown it back in my junk pc pile. I also now know why i avoided branded pc`s for so long. If any of you clever bunch could help me figure out this problem id be mighty grateful. :confused:

2. ippytattoo

ippytattoo MDL Senior Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Was it working properly with the previous BIOS? If so I would flash back to previous and be done with it. If it wasn't working with previous BIOS it may be a HDD issue, try a different HDD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ubertalldude

ubertalldude MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
    I have the same machine. Now, in the BIOS setup, when you configure the boot order, there's and option for "Disk Drive C:" or something similar, I can't remember. I run Ubuntu Linux, so this doesn't work for me, so when the machine boots I hit F12 to go to the boot menu and have to manually selest "Primary Master Drive" (my bootable IDE drive) to get my machine to boot. It's a pain, but my machine works.

4. GabrielV

GabrielV MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...