DELL or HELL , what do you think?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by sunnyimran, Oct 11, 2009.

1. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a DELL Optiplex 745 since 2 years now, and I'm happy with it :groupwave:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sunnyimran

sunnyimran MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    Well congrats for your success.

My DELL after resting long in Junk, I threw it away and I built one custom machine , with QuadCore in almost same price as was DELL that time, and my machine is still working perfectly fine. :)

3. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    Then congratulations :biggrin:
    I like the custom built PCs though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pinnace

pinnace MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2011
    i always had bad experiences with dell

5. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    Sorry to hear that. But, could you please elaborate, what kind of bad experiences, ... etc

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    But Dell does at least produce one Quality product line, it's the IPS Monitors, they have a good price (oh god please don't come up that your 24 inch did only cost 100 bucks or something, rofl, TN which is basicly in every cheap monitor is the worst technology on earth) and are really good, they are recommended basicly in every good forum if you want a good monitor, not some crap.

7. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you Shenj for the good information. So, you recommend Dell IPS monitors. Do you recommend a special type of those DELL IPS monitors? As I navigated DELL website and found many types.

8. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    DELL or OEM's in general

/Who makes the LCD screen? DELL is a brand, you will find that there aren't that many LCD panel makers as many brands.
    In general OEM machines are attracted to non technical people and sold for a price (does not mean the cheapest.......).Also attracted to certain business dues to warranty and quick exchange (does not mean they are getting the best price..........)

When you search for real brand names that are also quality you look at ASUS - GYGABYTE - INTEL in motherboards. These products in general are vastly superior to Dell or Acer. These last 2 and not forgetting Lenovo are rubbish.

Though Sony is a great brand theri laptops are a horrible headache.

Laptop was invented by Toshiba and as such some of their models are very good but things change with economics and what was good today is not tomorrow. Asus is also a rolls royce.

Dell is good in servers as does HP. This late one has two types of laptops, one is the biz grade and the other the ones sold to the public in shops where the quality is not the same, and so does the price, to the ones sold to the corporate world.

In summary, OEM brands like Dell are built for a price and is not always the cheapest!

Your custom system if you pick first class will always be there (example: Ausus motherboard, Western Digital HD, etc).

Good luck...................and will never touch Dell for laptops or desktop. I would drink cyanide:biggrin: first !

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Might be a little late but Dell "UltraSharp" are the IPS monitors.
    I would recommend these (if you want a good picture quality on your monitor)
    Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23" 1920x1080 16:9 8ms
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" 1920x1200 16:10 8ms
    Dell UltraSharp U2412 24" 1920x1200 16:10 6ms [This one has even Wide Color Gamut: 110% CIE 1976 and brightest]
    Dell UltraSharp U2711, 27" 2560x1440 16:9 [Wide Color Gamut: 110% CIE 1976]
    Dell UltraSharp U3011, 30" 2560x1600 16:10 7ms [Wide Color Gamut: 117% CIE 1976]

(Lined up from Cheapest to most expensive) If you just need Budget, U2311H is what you are looking for, which is just ~180 Euro

As you can see all the numbers start with U, this product line is the best Dell has to offer for a really good price but really good picture quality.

10. comp_tech

comp_tech MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2011
    I bet for your suggestions guys! No offense with the brand, but it really works so LAME! I've got one product from same brand as well that just offended me after I used it only slightly, and when I was supposed to used it again, it doesn't work at all. Too bad! ;)

11. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you shenj for the info and sorry too for my late reply.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Be careful with Wide Color Gamut. Without a proper calibration you'll get color shifts to red tones at e.g. games. I also have a S-IPS monitor since I am a hobby photographer....IPS pannels are not made for hard core gaming.... Do you really need color space that exceeds the sRGB color space like Adobe RGB or even ProPhoto RGB?? Are you a publisher?
    Most cams and professional printers and printing services are using the sRGB color space these days....You need to think about what is your primary work with it.
    IPS panels have another quality than TN panels..IPS panels have the 'mother-of-pearl' effect, especially at white color. Some don't like that at all...especially hardcore TN panel gamer...

The picture quality is far superior to a TN panel. You can see details at photos you never saw with a TN panel.

Btw: Dell is IMHO a crap company. We have a lot of Dell PCs here at work and they suck. (Expensive and old and restricted hardware built in) But they have some good IPS monitors. I almost have bought a DELL monitor, but I have found a better one from HP. If you want a good one go for (Dell), HP, Eizo or NEC. Think about if you really need wide gamut. Most of us don't need it and would encounter problems without to calibrate it.
    I never would buy a OEM desktop PC. At least one of the built-in hardware components is crap...better choose each component by yourself and ask somebody to assemble it...or do it yourself.

13. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    #33 mohamedkamel, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    Thank you, Yen for the info.
    I'm really not a publisher, I'm a translator and really didn't know much of what you told me, but I got what you mean, I think.

I have a DELL desktop PC and I think it is ok with me. If I want to assemble a PC here (In Egypt), I will never find what I want. All components imported to here are made in china (no problem) but grade/class 7 or 8 and no class 1 imported to here.

That's my problem with custom built PC's. I had one before, but, really it was a real crap, due to the reasons mentioned above.

Then, I looked for something powerful, I didn't find but imported (used :() DELL, HP, IBM PC's. I have it since 2009 and it works. My DELL PC has 8 GB of RAM, processor 2.4 core 2 duo, ATI 5450 VGA card 1 GB (not bad, I think or what do you think) I know it depends on my applications, usage ... etc. But, overall everybody want to have a respectable PC.

As for monitors, I just asked for a good monitor, just to comfort my eyes a bit. I don't want to face calibration and other issues. I just wanted a good monitor.

Greetings from Egypt.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #35 R29k, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  16. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
  17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  18. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
  19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  20. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011