DELL PowerEdge BIOS SLIC - Reveal SLIC for 13th generation servers

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dafob, Oct 19, 2016.

1. dafob

dafob MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2008
    #1 dafob, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    I spent days looking for the answer and had a hard time so posting this as a new thread to help anyone trying to unhide the full SLIC table on DELL 13th Generation PowerEdge servers (R730, R930, etc.).

On older PowerEdge servers, the SLIC table was built into the BIOS but "hidden" and needed certain Dell tools like ASSET.COM ran on a DOS boot to enter BIOS MANUFACTURING MODE which unhides the full table. Setting the asset to "ASSET PASS:12/31" or "ASSET PASS:12/34" enabled this mode. But on newer UEFI/GUI based PowerEdge servers with Lifecycle, these tools no longer work.

So the key question is how to enter BIOS MANUFACTURING MODE on these new servers? Surprisingly, it's even easier now. There's a field in the BIOS for the Asset Tag. Just set this field to "PASS:12/34", reboot and the system will be in BIOS MANUFACTURING MODE. Reboot the machine again to exit the mode, but the SLIC will be fully unhidden! This was tested on a PowerEdge R930. With the newest BIOS, SLIC Toolkit reports SLIC 2.4.

1. F2 (enter BIOS) -> System BIOS-> Miscellaneous Settings
    2. Enter "PASS:12/34" in the Asset Tag field, then exit and save settings
    3. System will reboot into BIOS MANUFACTURING MODE. Let it go through POST completely, then reboot again to exit BIOS MANUFACTURING MODE. *NOTE*: You may have to go back into the BIOS to reconfigure some settings, such as the boot order, etc.

2. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    OA 2.4 SLIC you say, can you dump it and share it here?

3. ssaeth

ssaeth MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    is there a new bios in poweredge x30 series

i did this on two poweredge R720 + one T320

Used the Dellbiosreset.iso file. Burned it to a cd, and booted. Came up with the usual not support message ran:

asset /s yourdellservicetaghere
    asset PASS:12/31

rebooted

Booted to Dell 2.3 per slic toolkit. Worked like a charm.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...et-tags/page24?p=990349&viewfull=1#post990349

maby this works for x30 series too

4. siyoulee

siyoulee MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    I had successed open slic from this method.Thanks.

But When I entered the bios,I must typed "/s servertag" first,and secondly typed "PASS:12/34".
    Only done 2 steps all by sequence the machine will entered factory mode,or else not enter if I only typed "PASS:12/34" only.

Holpfuyly it can help someone.I'm R730.

Thanks again.

5. adamlau

adamlau MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2016
    It didn't work on power edge T20. I can't find a way to unlock Slic 2.3 or 2.4 on it. It's frustrated.