Dell Precision 670

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Punky, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Punky

Punky MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    Hi guys I'm looking for a bios mod for a Dell Precision 670, does anyone know if it's been done and if where I can get it.

I've searched and can't find it, but doing a search on google comes up with a couple of links but they're dead.

If not I'll request it properly.

Thanks

2. decko

decko MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2010
    me too ,i would realy apreciate a bios mod for a Dell Precision 670

3. shaocaholica

shaocaholica MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2010
    Here's a dump of my 670

-Manufacturer: Dell
    -Motherboard Model: 0XC837
    -Bios revision: A07
    -Bios Type: Phoenix BIOS(?)
    -Bios Download Link: dell.to/hRcKBp
    -RW Everything Report: finalpass.net/misc/AcpiTbls.rw

Not sure how you can patch the bios since its embedded into a windows executable that won't run unless it detects you're running on the specified system and in winXP32. If this is a problem I can try to grab the files it extracts from my winxp32 install but I'm not even sure if thats how it works.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    shaocaholica, do you have some serious problem with reading?

One post above yours has the link to MODDED A07 Bios

sebus

5. shaocaholica

shaocaholica MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2010
    Im hesitant to use that since no formal request was made with a dump and the poster did say he could not guarantee it would work.

6. shaocaholica

shaocaholica MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2010
    #9 shaocaholica, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Thanks but this didn't work. I couldn't run the bios update from Win7-64 so I ran it from WinXP-32 and it seems to have flashed OK. I rebooted and could go into the BIOS and run memtest. However, if I tried booting a previous working Win7 install, it hard locks on the splash screen before the windows logo appears. Its been hung for over an hour so I'm pretty sure its hard locked. Booting into a previously working Win7 install disc results in a BSOD saying it couldn't initialize the HAL. Booting back into the working WinXP-32 install results in a BSOD resulting from non ACPI compliancy. I'm going to try re-installing WinXP since it will disable ACPI during the install if it doesn't detect it (I think) and reflash back to the stock bios.

Edit:
    False alarm. I went into the BIOS and just reset everything to defaults and now I can boot all previous windows installs. Seems like the modified BIOS caused something to go out of wack but its fixable.

Edit2:
    Seems like the culprit was SpeedStep turned ON. I swear it was working before the modded BIOS so I'll check tonight to see if it still works with the stock BIOS. FYI I'm running:

2 x Intel Xeon SL8MA 2.8Ghz Dual Core CPUs.

Edit3:
    Well SpeedStep does work with the stock BIOS so for some reason tqhoang's modded BIOS causes WinXP and Win7 to freak out when SpeedStep is turned on.

7. Typer

Typer MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi there!

I had a Supermicro X6 board, with 12Gb DDR2 400 RAM Registered non-ECC, but that board fried, and then I got a bargain for a Dell 670 board and box. However I cannot use the RAM I had in the Supermicro in the DELL because it is registered but non-ECC. Is there any BIOS mod that I can do to let me use this ram since original bios doesnt accept NON-ECC ram? Please? Its my rendering PC and I cannot afford to buy 12Gb ECC registered RAM right now!

Thanks in advance!

8. Typer

Typer MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi! Thanks for your info!
    My memory is Rank2, but I'm not using now the slot5&6 as said in Dell Manual, but even so it does not accept my memory. In BIOS it says non-ECC and it does not accept the memory in Bios or Operating System. It recognizes the DIMMs, however if I place 512mb of old PC3200 ECC DIMM in slot 1&2 and my 2x2Gb non-ECC in slot 3&4, it says I only have 512mb of memory in Bios, although in bios it shows the slots filled with 2Gb Rank2 memory, it says total memory 512mb!!! This board has the same intel chipset as my previous Supermicro X6 so when buying the Dell I though it would work as well. I tried to get Phoenix Bios Editor to disable ECC parameters of the bios, as I know its possible, but I get an error when opening the ROM file, saying NO BCPs found...
    Anyone knows how to edit Dell 670 Bioses, I know its a Phoenix Bios and some guys even change SLIC in BIOS. But I only want it to accept my non-ECC memory!!!
    Any Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

9. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    1. You can't use Phoenix BIOS Editor with Dell BIOS'es. You must to it manually using AndyP's PhoenixTool and then hex-editing the modules when they're in the "DUMP" folder. But I warn you not to even go this route as you will likely brick your motherboard and there is not bootblock recovery like with laptops.

2. Normally you cannot mix ECC and non-ECC memory in a system. But you say that the PC boots and you can get into the BIOS, so it is the BIOS checking something. Only thing I think you could try is to put the non-ECC memory in slots 1&2 and the ECC in slots 3&4.

10. keg

keg MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2010
    I know I am a bit late :D but could you let me know if you still have this bios, or if you could be so kind and mod the latest bios again. I have scavenged the net for it and can only find broken links, since the files have all been deleted
    thank you

11. en4rab

en4rab MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
  12. en4rab

en4rab MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #18 en4rab, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. eripey

eripey MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Can someone repost the download link again? Thanks.