Dell Studio 1537 wont boot from any device, why?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by nightzun, Dec 10, 2010.

1. nightzun

nightzun MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2010
    Hi, hopefully posting in correct forum-subforum place, move if in wrong place. Trying my luck here, nothing on other forums.

I have a Dell Studio 1537 series laptop and when it is turned on it gets past the dell startup logo, then it shows: "SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: WDC WD3200BEVT-75ZCT2-(S1) WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent. Press F1 to Continue"
    After pressing F1 it just shuts down and turns on again, and loops the same manner. Now Im thinking, the hard drive is bricked, say ok no prob. I happen to have a fresh spare. Nothing. Same deal, except it doesnt show the SMART message it just goes into a restart loop always after getting past the dell logo screen. wth?

Pop in various boot cds, go into bios change boot order, nothing. Same thing. Press F12 to go into boot menu at the dell logo startup screen, select CD/DVD device, nothing,zero,nada. Same thing, stuck at restart loop. Say ok, internal CD/DVD gone bad as well, no prob. happen to have a external cd/dvd drive laying around. Test it with my other working laptop, works flawless. Connect it back to the dell, press F12 to go into the boot menu, select usb attached device, nothing, tried every usb port.wth? Ok, now Happen to have a bootable flash drive laying around as well, connect it, tried to boot from it, samething,loops. Running out of ideas/options, last thing tried was remove cmos battery for 20 mins, nothing. Also changed cmos battery to a new one and nothing.

Seems like it Does not want to boot from any device including the hdd, why? =:)( Is this going farther than the obvious? CMOS? M/B? CPU? sorry for the long post, just wanted to go detail on it of all things tried so far, any ideas VERY WELCOMED! Thank you in advance.