Dell Studio Hybrid XP Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by JMorrison, Sep 29, 2008.

1. JMorrison

JMorrison MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2008
    Hello!!

I bought Studio Hybrid the other day, and I love it, but my AutoCAD won't work on it running VIsta and I need to downgrade to XP. I have a copy of XP Home that I know AutoCAD will work on, and everytime I try to install it, I get the infamous Blue Screen O' Death as it is trying to access the partition information in the setup. I reboot, it goes through the whole process of loading the install files, then tries to read the drive and BAM! BSOD time...

If anybody can shed some light on this, I would be greatful. Thanks!

I qwould even be happy using this as a dual boot system, but Vista won't let me run the install program, even after I resize the partition to allow it space to install. If anybody knows of a fix for that, I feel it would be the easier solution to the problem as I can run everything else I need in Vista, just need the XP for AutoCAD...

Thanks for any help or advice.

2. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
  3. JMorrison

JMorrison MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2008
    I am using 2008, with Vista Home Basic...

The problem is nto the OS, it's the graphics requirements. Under Vista (As it is a huge resource hog) it requires a minimum of 128 MB of onboard memory for the graphics cards. The Studio Hybrid does not allow for this upgrade. XP only requires the basic chipset that comes with the Hybrid as it is more able to allocate resources and not use them for itself.

Thus, the need for XP for AutoCAD 2008 on this particular system.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Maybe slipstream the sata drivers to the xp disc so it will be recognized...

you may be able to have the drivers on a usb drive or usb floppy, but you would have to F6 at the right time...(load scsi drivers)..

Just an idea:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
    Yeah that should fix the issue. Dump your XP disk on the drive, use nLite to integrate the sata drivers, or any other drivers for that matter, (will need to extract the drivers with Winrar before adding them with nLite), create a bootable ISO of finished result, and burn new disk.

6. Ol'Duffer

Ol'Duffer MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2011
    Dell Studio Hybrid - XP install/setup BIOS settings, drivers list

To install XP on a Dell Studio Hybrid (140G):

Get a USB Key or blank CD for transferring files
    (I prefer PartEdMagic v6.7 with GpartEd and FF )

Get Dell’s XP driver files:

CONEXANT_D400-EXTERNAL-USB-5_A04_R197197.exe
    CW1340A0.exe Dell 32-bit Diagnostics
    R162030.exe Realtek ALC888 Audio
    R164210.exe Mouse Logitech-Optical (wireless)
    R179776.exe Intel GM965 Video
    R189136.exe WirelessLAN Mini-Card 802.11n
    R189717.exe Realtek RTL81## NetworkConn PCIe
    R183806.exe (Will work on XP)

Go to Intel’s Website
    Download the “INF Update Utility” for the Intel 965 Express Chipset family

Go to Microsoft’s Website (Optional - Installed by default on Vista)
    Download Microsoft's iSCSI Software Initiator (for block-based NAS storage via Ethernet NIC)

Go into the BIOS (press F2 (or F12)) and change the Hard Disk from AHCI to IDE
    (In the BIOS, Vista wants the hard drive set to AHCI; XP wants it set to IDE.)

Install Windows (from CD or SARDU-USB)
    Install drivers from USB or CD

Done.