Dell studio xps 1647 bios recovery problem. Help please.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mifa, May 29, 2014.

1. mifa

mifa MDL Novice

May 29, 2014
    I got trouble with my dell studio xps 1647. The bios flash failed (freeze with white screen). I tried to use phoenix crisis recovery tool (run wincrisis in windows xp, then get 3 files: minidos, flash16 and bios.wph in the usb drive). However, I am unable to access the recovery mode (no beep or fan sound, no led of usb drive; I tried many key combination). Anyone help me please ?

2. legendray

legendray MDL Novice

May 29, 2014
    1. Download BIOS file from Dell
    2. Extract HDR file from EXE: xxxxxx.exe -writehdrfile, a file xxxxxx.hdr will be there;
    3. Copy xxxxxx.hdr to a formatted floppy disk or U disk (U disk is not fit for D410 / D610);
    4. Rename xxxxxx.hdr to the right file name according to below list;
    4. Unplug AC adapter and battery from the bricked laptop;
    5. Plug USB-Floppy with the disk prepared;
    6. Holding press "END" on the keyboard, plug AC Adapter;
    7. Then you will find that the battery light is on with red;
    8. Release "END", you will find the power light is on and laptop power up;
    9. Keep waiting... USB-Floppy will start to work. A continuous reading instead of a short seek action. Keep waiting...
    10. Finally, the lapop shutdown or restart.
    That is all, power on again, you will find it is working properly.

Dell Latitude D410 : VENI???.BIN, VENI???.HDR, VENI???.HDC, VEN????.BIN, VEN????.HDR
    Dell Latitude D420 : CRO????.bin, CRO????.hdr, CRO????.hdc, D420???.bin, D420???.hdr
    Dell Latitude D430 : CAR????.bin, CAR????.hdr, CAR????.hdc, D430???.bin, D430???.hdr
    Dell Latitude D610 : AZED???.bin, AZED???.hdr, AZED???.hdc, AZE????.bin, AZE????.hdr
    Dell Latitude D620 : TRAV???.bin, TRAV???.hdr, TRAV???.hdc, D620???.bin, D620???.hdr
    Dell Latitude D630 : BRIS???.bin, BRIS???.hdr, BRIS???.hdc, D630???.bin, D630???.hdr
    Dell Latitude E4300 : LOLA???.bin, LOLA???.hdr, LOLA???.hdc, E4300??.bin, E4300??.hdr
    Dell Latitude E6400 : RSH????.bin, RSH????.hdr, RSH????.hdc, E6400??.bin, E6400??.hdr

Whatever, I can not list here all the models, below is the method to find such filename info:
    1. Extract ROM file from EXE: xxxxx.exe -writeromfile;
    2. Use a tool decode the xxxxx.rom to xxxxxx.bin;
    3. Open xxxxxx.bin by Winhex, Ctrl + F search "hdr", F3 search for the next, it's easy to find the string with ????HDR.?????HDC.?????BIN;
    That will be the right filename which can be used for the BIOS recovery.

3. mifa

mifa MDL Novice

May 29, 2014
    Thank you so much for the instruction. Do this work with a USB flash (I do not have a usb floppy drive) ? Is there any another file in the USB flash ?

4. mifa

mifa MDL Novice

May 29, 2014
    Even I am unable to extract hdr file from dell A11 bios. windows xp is frozen when I try to do that.