Dell Ultimate version and activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Nicholas440, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Im currently running Vista 32 bit on my Dell Laptop, and have access to an official Dell Win 7 Ultimate disc.

My question is will this Dell version need to be activated ? Or can I just install and the Dell is already activated like my Vista is.? I got a Vista DvD with my new Dell laptop and it needs no activation I can just install it on any Dell provided it has SLIC 2.0 on it.

Also will I need to add SLIC 2.1 to my current Bios if I install this Dell version? I only have SLIC 2.0 on my machine bios as far as I know.

Ive been installing Windows OS"s since back in Windows 95 days, and have used every one they came up with so far but it looks like the game has changed now with all this Certificate stuff and SLIC on the bios. I havent kept up too much with these newer techniques.

Any help is appreciated.. I was going to just get the Ultimate version from the Repository here, but then I located this original Dell Ultimate disc.

Thanks,

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #2 timesurfer, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
    Unless you have key with that copy of ultimate I believe you will have to mod your bios to slic 2.1 if you wish to activate. Check the bios section for one that might already be made for your mobo. So whether you use the Repository RTM or your ultimate disk you will be able to enter key and cert to match your bios mod. Or if your into it you can just use daz loader til you get can get that bios mod

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    He only needs to add slic2.1 to bios dell DVD are OEM key and certificate included so they preactivate.

4. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    SLIC2.0 is working with Vista. SLIC2.1 is working with Windows 7 and Vista. So SLIC2.1 is backward compatible (for Vista) but you need SLIC2.1 to activate Windows 7. To activate Windows 7 you need beside SLIC2.1 an OEM SLP key of your favorite Windows 7 edition and an activation certificate that matches the BIOS SLIC2.1. If you haven't a BIOS with SLIC2.1 you should use a combination of SLIC2.1, activation certificate and Key from only ONE brand (so you wouldn't have a problem with WAT in the future).

5. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    What modell is your laptop? if it is new enough there may be an official bios with 7 support on Dell's site.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. djbeta66

djbeta66 MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    When a manufacturer gives an upgrade kit for SO, it includes a retail key for that version.