Dell Vostro 1520 Bios recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kazukazis, Mar 26, 2010.

1. kazukazis

kazukazis MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2010
  2. asoft

asoft MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    I have same problem after I tried to update my bios under windows 7 64bit,
    I extracted my bios rom file, but can't switch to recover mode using any key above.
    I’m using usb storage as Crisis Recovery disk but with no luck.
    Any one has a new idea

3. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    I have a few questions, comments that may be of help.
    when recovering other Dell systems in step 8, when plugging in the power adapter (holding "end" key), the power led momentarily illuminates RED, if that is true then recovery is possible with that key combination, you must release the "end" key while the power LED is still red, disregard the term "slowly release", just release the "end" button and it should enter recovery mode. If this happens as I have said and recovery does not happen then there may be some issue with the recovery disk..
    hope this helped..

4. bryanfer

bryanfer MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2010

i cant also get to the recovery mode using a DELL VOSTRO 1520, had a bad flash and i wanna fix it do you guys know an alternative method to go to the recovery mode? caps lock LED is flashing on and off, blue tooth, and the others are steady, only the caps lock led flashing.

please help

FN + F, FN + B and END keys dont get me to recovery mode and even wont turn on

5. bryanfer

bryanfer MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2010
    yes i have tried to remove the hard drive and CD drive but i cant still access the recovery mode by using key combinations of FN + B or FN + F or by pressing END before plugging in the AC, also the battery was removed.

my main question is how to get to recovery mode of Dell Vostro 1520 :( someone please help :(

6. turmoil

turmoil MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2012
    Hi - I have the same laptop and facing the same issue. I ran Dell's BIOS update and it bricked the machine :(
    I tried so many various WinCris versions and whatnot (tried every key combo possible) but the recovery won't take place.
    Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try removing a memory stick

8. turmoil

turmoil MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2012
    #10 turmoil, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    3 weeks and $150 later, the problem fixed

OK so I had the computer fixed and it is OK now. I don't know exactly what they did to fix it as the computer was sent to a 3rd party and they couldn't provide more information. What they would say though is that they were able to fix the issue without replacing the motherboard.

HOWEVER, and this is the important bit:
    I subsequently discovered that one of the memory sticks in the computers was bad, causing freezing issues! I confirmed this by putting the stick into another laptop (known to be good) and sure enough it froze within 5 minutes of operation.

I guess the moral of the story is if you plan on updating your BIOS do one of the following:
    1. Make sure the computer has a supported and documented BIOS recovery method
    2. Make sure your RAM is 100 percent good by running memtest86+
    3. Don't do it at all.

9. technologue

technologue MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2012
    hy all
    i had the same problem on my vostro 1015 and it was imposible to get to recovery mode by keeping the end key pressed and plug the power adapter. but finally i managed to success this by plugin the adapter and pressing the end key in the same time and the fan began to rotate loudly .
    i ope this will help you.
    thanks

10. MasterUMC

MasterUMC MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    #12 MasterUMC, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
    If youre in the US, there are services which repair for $100 + ship, I just bricked a 1520

11. Poz3D

Poz3D MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2014
    I had a corrupted BIOS problem with a Dell Vostro 1520 and despite lots of Googling I couldn't find a way to reflash it. I eventually got it working using a modified version of the process in the first post in this thread. I don't know if it'll work for other Vostros, but it's worth a try (and cheaper than a motherboard or BIOS chip replacement!)

I prepared a Crisis Recovery USB stick but did things differently at step 8 in the first post. The following steps worked for me:

1) Remove battery
    2) Hold down Left Shift key on keyboard
    3) Plug in AC adapter
    4) Press power button (while still holding Left Shift)
    5) Keep holding Left Shift for another 5 to 10 seconds. The laptop fans should be louder than normal.
    6) Let go of the Left Shift key and let the laptop run for about 10 minutes. The laptop will auto reboot when its finished.

This process worked for me on a Dell Vostro 1520. Hope this helps!

12. ferjero989

ferjero989 MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2013
    whats the link for the wincrysis disk?

13. IT Kolmnurk

IT Kolmnurk MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2014
    Dell Vostro 1520 Bios recovery success!

1. Create a folder “C:\Crisis_Recovery” and extract the files from sendspace.com/file/wjy6mk to this folder
    2. Download the latest BIOS for Dell Vostro 1520 and run it on PC
    3. This create a temp directory for the WinPhlash app, which contain a BIOS.ROM file
    4. Before closing latest BIOS installation app, make a copy of bios.rom file to “C:\Crisis_Recovery”
    5. Rename the BIOS.ROM file to BIOS.WPH
    6. Run the WinCris.Exe to format USB stick with Crisis Recovery Disk
    7. This will write the boot record and files on to USB with specific order
    8. Ensure the USB disk now contain the files minidos.sys, phlash16.exe and BIOS.WPH copied by the WinCris.Exe tool
    9. Not modifying the USB stick contents, plug-in the USB stick
    10. Remove the Battery
    11. Hold down Left Shift key on keyboard
    12. Plug in AC adapter
    13. Press power button (while still holding Left Shift)
    14. Keep holding Left Shift for another 10 seconds. The laptop fans should be louder
    15. Release Left Shift key and let the laptop run for about 10 minutes. The laptop will auto reboot when its finished.
    16. This process worked for me on a Dell Vostro 1520 :rolleyes:

14. woodzy10ec

woodzy10ec MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2015
    I have followed this to the letter and am having no success. Did you folks use a specific size of USB drive? Also, did you use a specific USB port? The laptop seems to go into recovery, ie loud fan, but the drive never shows activity and the laptop never reboots on its own. Thanks for any insight.

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #18 LatinMcG, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    try older bios or same version you had before crash.
    do wincris process 2 times on USB.
    not all usb sticks works. ive used 8gb fine.. its the brand/firmware of it.
    sandisk worked for me in past.. and so has sd card with usb adapter sometimes.

check ram connection. re seat it

16. AK121881

AK121881 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2015

I wanted to give this thread a bump and let everyone know these left shift steps worked for me on a Dell Vostro 1720. I got the BIOS.ROM by running the "Dell_BIOS.exe", (cause I couldn't unzip it) and it extracted it's files to C:\WINDOWS\Temp\WINPHLASH. I had to leave it at the confirm step while I navigated to the directory and copied the files because if I hit cancel at the "Confirm BIOS Flash" step, it would remove the files automatically.

Thank you so much for GREAT users who share data in forums, this web site, and of course, Google!

May your computing bring you happy bits, but never byte you in the a**!!! 0:)

17. tato77

tato77 MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2007
    Thanks you so much, Worked for me!