DELL VOSTRO 1720 Bios recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dancob, Aug 18, 2011.

1. dancob

dancob MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2011
    Hello,

I was updating bios on Dell Vostro 1720 on Windows 7 x64 when whole system friezed. I waited 1h but nothing happened . I remove the AC power and battery to shut it down.
    When i started the Laptop ,there was nothing. No picture, only bluetooth,capslock and scrollock were lighted and Numlock was blinking.
    I thing the bios is bricked.

I tried Wincris.exe with the latest bios.wph but nothing happens. I was holding the end key while powering up without battery for recovery but nothing.
    Maybe there is some other key combination for bios recovery. It uses phoenix bios.

Can somebody help with some solution to recover bios.

Thanks,

2. Gormander

Gormander MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2011
    Dancob,

Did you ever figure out how to reflash your Bios with the Vostro 1720? I tried following the instructions per the link that tqhoang provided but my laptop doesnt seem to do anything when holding the "END" key and plugging in the AC adaptor.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

3. lakai

lakai MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2011
    I dont' know if the procedure with the 1520 is the same,but i'm stucked too,no action with the end key...

4. lakai

lakai MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2011
    Doesn't work for me.
    I called dell today,they said me that recovery was not possible on the 1520 (hard to believe...).
    Don't want to interfer with this thread but i think we're stuck at the same point.
    The only thing that seem to work is the floppy usb for aprox. 30 seconds but no results.

In an other forum,someone wrote that he managed to get into recovery mod with a 1520;but i cannot pm him and he is not active since 6 months...

I noticed that my bios version before update was a 1mb file and the new 2mb...Maybe that's the reason of the bios crash.

5. lakai

lakai MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm affraid you're right...
    I found a company that can desolder my eprom and reprogram it for 50€.
    The only thing is that i would be sure that I tried all key combo and all phlash16 files before sending my laptop!
    I saw a lot of vostro wich can be be restored with a hdr filetype;but my .exe only contains a bios.rom file...So I think the recovery method differs.

Thanks for your help!

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Good luck.

I just looked at the Vostro 1520 BIOS with Phoenix BIOS Editor and the "Boot Fail Recovery" was not enabled. I assume the same was with the Vostro 1720 as well.

7. lakai

lakai MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks for the clear answer,i won't try to recover anymore...:)

Will send the vostro for a bios chip replacement!