Dell Vostro 220 Bios update help needed

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by geno368, Jan 2, 2011.

1. geno368

geno368 MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2011
    I am working on a Vostro running XP Prof and it won't boot in regular or safe mode. I tried a re-install of the OS and keep getting BSOD. I then downloaded the latest Bios update on my laptop and put the exe file on a cd and tried to boot and it just ignores the boot config I gave it to boot from cd. I retried it and it just comes up with "hit F11 for system recovery" I did that and again got BSOD. I'm not sure if that is the way to flash the bios. BTW, I cannot even get to a CP. I have run all system tests with a Hirens and it shows no problems.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    As said above, what kind of miracle do you expect from BIOS update when (most likely) hardware is failing?

Vostro = disposable PC

sebus

3. geno368

geno368 MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I agree with the quality...it's not my system..it's a family member. I have replaced the SATA HD with another known working one with same results. It leads me to believe that the bios or mbr is corrupt, but I am not a tech. Is there any suggestion you could give me to try to get this going? I used a Hiren's diagnostic disc and checked the MB and all other hardware and it showed all good. It even booted an XP mini boot

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    SATA controller dying? mobo failing, memory failing (did you memtest it?)

You can afudos 7C4D1P45.ROM /P /N /C
    (you get this file from temp folder when run Dell Vostro 220 1.3 bios exe on unsupported system
    sebus

5. geno368

geno368 MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2011
    thanks for the reply, but she gave up the ship and bought another...lol