Dell Win 10 pro recovery DVD needed

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by amanda, Jul 5, 2019.

1. amanda

amanda MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I have a Dell xps laptop and dell 790 mini tower that both came with Win 7 64.
    I need the Dell Win 10 pro recovery DVD.
    Can anyone help?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Personally, I don't think there is such a thing, but if it at all exist then you will find it on the Dell website.
    Personally, currently I am writing to You using Dell Vostro & Windows 10x64 Pro.
    Secondly, you never need such a thing because Dell uses a completely standard Windows 10. If you need a specific driver, you will always find it on the Dell website.
    PS. I don't know any Dell that would need some very specific driver. My own uses only the RICOH Card Reader, but even this is not a special for Dell. You can freely download from the website and also use the Sony version, for example. No problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    The only thing the actual Dell recovery disc would do might be a few drivers that may or may not be found on Windows Update (Broadcom hardware, etc) and it would of course add the Dell OEM info to the System Properties page.

There is no actual reason to spend time trying to find that disc which as noted probably doesn't really exist at this point. You're better off just getting the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and making a fresh clean ready-to-go USB stick - the Windows 10 Pro key won't be necessary (not even the one on the sticker on the laptop if it even has one somewhere) because it's already stored on Microsoft's servers. Just install Windows 10 Pro using the MCT made USB stick (or you can make an ISO and burn it to a DVD I suppose if necessary), then when it asks you for a Product Key, click "I don't have a key" and continue the installation. When everything is finished and it gets online, that installation will contact Microsoft, verify itself, and voila, activated.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #8 Enthousiast, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    I might have overreacted but for me it's the promotion of a tool that uses copied code and nags for money...

Any windows 10 iso will install windows 10, using MRP (another MDL based project) will insert the dell oem pictures and info.

+ dell 790 minitower is not even listed, the xps is not specified.

7. amanda

amanda MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks for all your replies. EBay used to sell recovery DVD's for Dell Win 10 pro. I just need the recovery DVD for Dell computers that I then install from a blank SSD.

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can do it if you want. I would never do and would never recommend to anyone.
    And yet, it's strange how such things can be available on eBay and not on the Dell website? Someone is self-proclaimed DELL, fake DELL.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  10. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    I have a 10 years old Dell Studio 540 delivered with Windows Vista. The only time I used a Dell DVD was to migrate to Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 8, 8.1, 10 using only the official Microsoft releases. Windows Update installed every time the needed drivers, even the driver for my ATI 3500 video card (since a few months my video card is dead and i use the onboard video chip; once again Windows Update installed the correct driver for the G45 chipset).

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  12. amanda

amanda MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks, I will use my COA to activate 1903.

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Beginning from Vista, the COA does not have an activation key but only a generic installation key.

14. amanda

amanda MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    OK, does it have a digital key? So I can still install win 10 pro ver 1903 from the ISO I downloaded from Microsoft?

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can install from DVD, from USB, from what ever You have, but it doesn't mean, that Windows will be activated automatically after install. It will happen only if the OEM info is still there, if You have key for activation, if You have already upgraded Your Windows 7, 8,.. and You have digital license, etc. If still haven't nothing, You can still upgrade Win 7, 8, 8.1 with their key, if the keys are not used before. If You have OEM Windos 7-8.1 activation, Windows will activate automatically. But You can also use the genuine ticket method, if You want.
    It all has been discussed already for 4 years, posted several hundred million articles and tutorials. If You don't remember, the first official Windows 10 released on 15th of July on 2015.