dell windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by maktucali, Nov 10, 2009.

1. maktucali

maktucali MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    #1 maktucali, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    ok im getting my dell homeprem win7 oem soon. does this dvd has the ei.cfg file in the sources folder? say if i delete the ei.cfg file, will it become an all in one auto activating dell windows7 dvd oem disc?

2. poi2

poi2 MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    Though they put their markings on the disc itself, I believe what they send you is essentially just a normal OEM disc like you could even buy in some stores.

It's not setup for using SLIC and all that, so no, it wouldn't provide the cert nor SLIC key nor confirm SLIC 2.1 BIOS, and thus not "auto-activate."

You can delete ei.cfg to try other "OEM" Windows 7 variants, but that's as far as it goes from the disc itself.

3. maktucali

maktucali MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    huh? dell dvds installs and activates automatically when installed on dell pcs.

4. daraj

daraj MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I concur with that.

5. maktucali

maktucali MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    thank you! i own several dells so i know how the dvds behave. i hackintosh a lot and reinstall my pc when i f**k up

6. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    They do if its the DVD that came with the PC installed ..... if you brought a PC with vista and a Win7 upgrade..... it may not...... all depends if it has a SLIC 2.1 and you would need the right key for that version!

7. poi2

poi2 MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    We're talking about the "free upgrade" DVDs getting mailed out, not the ones that come with the computer in the first place. The original post has now been modified -- it was originally asking about the free upgrades getting mailed out.