Dell XPS 13 9333 BIOS Flash Problem

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Jonidog, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Jonidog

Jonidog MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2014
    Hi I'm new to the forum. I joined because my Dell XPS 13 9333 won't boot at all, not even to bios. I've tried to flash a new bios image. First I extracted the bios image from the bios exe file using the "-writehdrfile" command and got two files named "BIOS.CAP and BIOS_BIOS.BIN". Next, I flashed it on my dell using the sequence "unplug ac, plug in usb, hold End, plug ac". When the flashing starts I get an error message after a few seconds saying:

"WARNING: System PFAT was enabled. Please enter the signed image!
    ERROR 100 - Invalid BIOS Image!"

Please please someone help me!!! I tried using Phonixtools but couldn't make it work... I just need a proper bios image to flash so I'll at least have a working bios to recover my windows. Please I am helpless, my computer is a beautifully engineered brick...

I would appreciate help from anyone who thinks he knows what to do in my situation. Again, if I press the power button normally without any usb sticks (that include some type of bios image) inside I just get a black screen, nothing more.

2. Jonidog

Jonidog MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2014
    Sorry you're right, i was in freakout mode.

3. Alexsanderam

Alexsanderam MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016
    My laptop (vostro 5470) has the same problem than yours. Could you solve? If so, how?

Thanks.

4. Alexsanderam

Alexsanderam MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016

This problem did not occur due to a BIOS update.
    I replaced the hard drive of the laptop for a SSD, and then I installed a Linux system on the SSD with the following partitions:

/
    /efi (was required for grub could boot in the UEFI mode)
    /home
    And an empty partition

The laptop was working without any problem. After a week, I decided to install Windows 10 on the empty partition. The installation was completed successfully. However, after the laptop be restarted to complete the installation, this is not power up more (only black screen appeared, transmitting light). I put back the original HD and continued with the same problem.

Then I tried to perform the recovery process described in the link: h t t p : / / en . community . dell . com /support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19654297. However, always it appears the error reported: "Error 100 - Invalid BIOS Image". I've tried to use all BIOS versions: A00-A12 (except A02 and A04 that I not found for download).

Is there still recovering my BIOS?

Thank

5. Alexsanderam

Alexsanderam MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016
    What does the error "Invalid BIOS Image" mean?

6. Alexsanderam

Alexsanderam MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016
    Thanks!! However, does not exist other method that I can try?

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    recovery likely will fail because image invalid. but sometimes it does work (not in your case)

those tools are under 20$ .. look for north america seller for fast shipping.

make backup.bin and upload it to a site and post link here..
    ill dload original site and merge with your data and reflash back.

8. Alexsanderam

Alexsanderam MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016
    Thanks LatinMcG! But, I live in Brazil, so those tools are more than R$ 150,00 (the price of two tools together) , see: h t t p : / / produto.mercadolivre.c o m .br/MLB-738589432-gravador-bios-usb-eprom-ch341a-24xx-25xx-brinde-_JM and h t t p : / / produto.mercadolivre.c o m .br/MLB-748355722-clip-soic8-sop8-adaptador-dip8-cabe-no-tl866-ch341a-zp2010-_JM#questionText. Because of this I would prefer other procedure, but by the way it seem that does not exist. Does certainly will work this procedure using ch341a?

Thanks.

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011