dell xps L502x upgrade

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by amanda, May 22, 2014.

1. amanda

amanda MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Hello all,

I have another question. My laptop is a Dell xps L502x. It runs win 7 64 home. I have seen Dell win 7 64 pro disc for sale. If I wipe my hd by using a hd drive zeroing cd will it install Dell win 7 64 pro discs normally? I have the original Dell win 7 64 home disc. I have the Dell win 7 64 home disc COA at the bottom of my laptop so do I need another key to install Dell win 7 64 pro disc? I have a Win 7 64 key from a computer that has been downgraded to XP, can I use that key to install Dell win 7 64 pro disc?

Thanks to all.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #2 Tito, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    Laptop comes with Windows 7 = It contains SLIC 2.1.

Just use SP1-U ISOs to install fresh, then install Dell cert & key (see here, specially section 6.F-a & 6.F-b). You can also upgrade by Windows Anytime Upgrade using (preferably) Dell OEM:SLP keys.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. amanda

amanda MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks,

If I try to use the key that I have got for Win 7 64 pro from a downgraded machine (from win 7 64 pro to Win XP) will that also do the job?

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Have you got it from the sticker attached with the PC?? Then it is OEM:COA which can be used to install as well as activate but it also requires activation via phone. On the other hand, OEM:SLP is completely offline & perfect for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. amanda

amanda MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks as you have answered my query.

6. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Amanda if you have win 7 home premium pre installed, you can switch it to Pro or ultimate without needing to wipe and reinstall from another disc or use the COA licence from the sticker. You can get the dell OEM SLP keys from another thread in this section for either ultimate or professional.
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...-SLP-Keys-Here?p=344001&viewfull=1#post344001

Then use the windows anytime upgrade in the control panel. You just enter the OEM SLP Dell key for the version you want. It will say that there is an error and the key is not an upgrade key, ignore that and proceed and reboot the machine as instructed to do so. After reboot it will say updating windows configuration files and after it has started it will then be the new version.

7. amanda

amanda MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2010

Great :)

So I have to reproduce what you kindly have told to do if going from home to pro every time I need to reinstall Windows?
    Is there a way t make a recovery DVD that behaves like a Win 7 64 disc?

Thanks.