Desktop Experience

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by xeneize500, Oct 9, 2010.

1. xeneize500

xeneize500 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Hi people! i want to know if is posible install Desktop Experience in Windows HPC 2008 r2.....thanks for all!:worthy:

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Most likely yes, but what for to use HPC as workstation?

sebus

3. TheGuysGuysGuy

TheGuysGuysGuy MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    #3 TheGuysGuysGuy, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Server 2008 R2 Power Workstation Reality...

I'm currently using Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 as a power workstation. And as far as I can tell, server 08 HPC is at its core the same OS. The difference being addition integrated packages. Granted its more than that, but basically these platforms are one in the same. You can always snag the express tools if you've already got a similar version to mine.

I can't post links yet, but here's all the versions... microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-editions-overview.aspx

And I guess at the time of this post, there's no actual Server 08 R2 with integrated HPC. But here's a link to the eval page which has both Server R2 and the HPC Expresspack. microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-editions-overview.aspx

I will say this, in the right hands Server 2008 R2 is vastly superior to a 7 system. Granted, its not the easiest to manipulate into that dream machine, it will fight you, but its very much a doable thing. Part of the appeal to me is that you really don't have to hack on it the way you would a 7 build. Instead of having to resort to my reg hacks, and scripts, to eliminate all those garbage services and applications, I can simply use the "Server Manager" to accomplish the same end goal. And when all is said and done, I've got a bad ass rig that runs the way I want it to, and can potentially run with fewer services than 7.

The image below is my current system. As you can see I've got all the goodies found in 7.

Attached Files:

4. omedinaw

omedinaw MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2011
    Need Help

Is there a chamce that you can send me a detailed guide to install desktop experience on my HPC platform? Ive been searching for a help guide with no luck at all.

Thanks