Desktop Icons not refreshing

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MrMagic, Sep 26, 2014.

1. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Anyone know how to fix the 'Desktop icons not refreshing' bug in 8.1 ?

It's weird because on first boot it works fine for a few hours, but then randomly decides to stop working, so by the afternoon/evening I have to start manually refreshing the desktop when I copy stuff to it, or the icons do not show up

Starting to get irritating so looking for a fix, seen a few reg fixes for Win 7 etc but doesn't seem to work for 8.1

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #2 murphy78, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Here you go, here's a script I include in my monthly stuff that does exactly that:
    Code:
    @echo off
    color 1f
        pushd "%CD%"
        CD /D "%~dp0"
    (NET FILE||(powershell -command Start-Process '%0' -Verb runAs -ArgumentList '%* '&EXIT /B))>NUL 2>NUL
    :--------------------------------------
    ECHO -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    echo.                         Iconcache Rebuild Script
    ECHO -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ECHO This script will restart explorer and delete the iconcache files.
    ECHO The system will reboot when finished.
    CHOICE /c YN /n /M "Run this script? (Y/N): "
    set errortemp=%ERRORLEVEL%
    IF %ERRORTEMP% EQU 2 EXIT
    IF %ERRORTEMP% EQU 0 EXIT
    taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    takeown /f %userprofile%\appdata\local\iconcache.db && icacls %userprofile%\appdata\local\iconcache.db /grant administrators:F
    attrib -r -s -h %userprofile%\appdata\local\iconcache.db
    del %userprofile%\appdata\local\iconcache.db
    if %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 (ECHO iconcache.db deletion errors detected)
    takeown /f %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\explorer\iconcache*.* && icacls %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\explorer\iconcache*.* /grant administrators:F
    attrib -r -s -h %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\explorer\iconcache*.*
    del %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\explorer\iconcache*.*
    if %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 (ECHO iconcache folder item deletion errors detected)
    takeown /f %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\explorer\thumbcache*.* && icacls %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\explorer\thumbcache*.* /grant administrators:F
    attrib -r -s -h %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\explorer\thumbcache*.*
    del %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\explorer\thumbcache*.*
    if %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 (ECHO thumbcache folder item deletion errors detected)
    ECHO Process Complete. System will reboot in 5 seconds.
    timeout /t 5 /nobreak>NUL
    shutdown /r /t 0

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Cheers Murphy, I`ll let you know how I get on, it says it needs to reboot the machine so i`ll run it once Im done using it

4. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I was having a problem with my Dell Venue 8 not refreshing icons and this fixed it. Thanks. :worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yep, so far so good, but it's early in the day, and for some unknown reason this only starts happening towards the end of the day when the machines been running all day without a reboot

Will know in a few hours

6. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #6 coleoptere2007, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    I've had the same problem with 8.1 + updates x64 edition and couldn't uninstall some progs, for unknown reason. The only way was to do a system refresh. One thing surprised me, i reinstalled office 2013 in retail version and no key has been ask and activation was ok without any kms or another stuff.

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Well it worked fine up until the night-time again, just like before

WTF could cause it to stop refreshing only at night ?

Or what could slowly build up throughout the day, becoming such a problem by the night that it bugs out enough to eventually cause it to stop refreshing?

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I was having a similar problem, only it was every few days for me.
    I decided to do an upgrade and clean install with an ISO I added Windows updates too, but that was worse i.e. all URL's would change too the Globe icon after a few minutes :confused:

I guessed it was something to do with the update MS recalled?

So I used one of Murphy's Magic ISO's in the end, no problems since :cool:

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    The machine is running spot on really, no complaints at all until the evening, when this happens, can't work it out

But not a big enough issue to warrant a wipe, sure I`ll find the reason at some point

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    LOL... No, I agree
    It was due to the upgrade (SSD and GFX card) why I went for the clean install, not the icon issue. :biggrin:

11. perre

perre MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2013
    #11 perre, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    murphy78 I applied your script to refresh and now my explorer is only renenciar as untie the script, thanks:weeping:

12. perre

perre MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2013
    murphy78 I applied your script to refresh and now my explorer is only renenciar as untie the script, thanks:g:

13. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Dog dishwasher cow land fork to you too buddy.
    Try to use some sort of correct words if you want me to understand. I have no idea what you're saying.

14. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I personally really dislike bullying, but I try not to do things just to be mean.
    When I tease, it's just to try to provoke him to try different things rather than whining.
    You know that saying about teaching a man to fish rather than giving him one...

15. perre

perre MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2013
    #16 perre, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

I'm from Portugal and I do not know English then have to translate with google, but thanks anyway already helped me in another forum.:surfing:

What I was saying and that javardice your script gave out my windows, and I need to understand or make a drawing

16. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    My script was un-mannerly?
    All it does is delete the icon cache files and reboot.

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I don't think it's your script that is poorly coded ;)