Desktop Riddle - Anti-Piracy or Bug?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Werm, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Werm

Werm MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
  2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey Werm,
    I think thats a video driver problem. :(

I've got a MiniNote Netbook which has an S3 GFX chip, and Windows7 would do this if i switched on the Aero theme.

Switch to the classic theme and see if the problem goes away. :)

3. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    ya it could be a graphic driver prblm.............
    did u apply any cracks on it??They too can sometimes cripple the system.

4. Werm

Werm MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    #4 Werm, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    (OP)
    I'll get rid of Aero for now and try a different driver later. I'm currently using the WDM 1.1 Nvidia driver that was installed with Windows Update. I'll give the 185 beta drivers a shot. Thanks.

No cracks were applied when I first got the problem. Orbit's crack has since been applied, but there is still no difference except now my black desktop is 'Genuine'. ;P

5. Werm

Werm MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    Update

The change in Nvidia vid drivers did fix the problem. :D I was using the WDDM 1.1 179.23 with my GTX 260. I changed up to the 185.20 beta drivers and everything is back to normal. I should also point out the with these new drivers I got a big improvement in 3DMark Vantage and COD5 W@W. ;)

Thanks for the help.

6. Drakie

Drakie MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2008
    I can say that i had a similar problem in build 6801, my wallpaper wouldnt go black, however all mi icons would disappear once i had enabled aero. This issue got fixed for me since build 6956. I have a GeForce FX 5200 (crappy but i dont game so ya' know...), i'm also aware that someone else had this aero issue in earlier builds, so my vote is graphics card.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...