Desperately needed....

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mat9v, Aug 4, 2012.

1. mat9v

mat9v MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2008
    Hello all.

Something went wrong with my flash in Windows.
    My notebook - HP Pavilion DV7-1040ew
    Bios version is F2.d, links in my post in Insyde bios mod requests thread on page 1121 (#11206)
    The notebook works, mostly, but because ACPI tables have errors I can't boot into Windows and flas**t complains of "FADT not found", even the latest 2.0b version found in "Bios tools" thread on page 24. Even trying /X switch does not help because then it complains of unsupported flash chip. Gah!!
    I have my copy of acpitables created with rweverything but I have no idea how to convert it to usable form for me.
    At present I'm running Linux (because it works) but it only uses one CPU core because of faulty ACPI and can't enable SMP. It is an option to compile kernel with ACPI tables built in but to do that I need DSDT.aml or .dsl file from working notebook. I don't know how to convert my file to that format - IASL is no help here. Extracting it from update bios file is a recipe for disaster as I read (BIOS modifies some memory address ranges in the DSDT on the fly, and those will vary from the default depending, for example, on how much RAM is installed).

So what I am asking here is for someone with a working notebook to extract DSDT table like here:

(First download and install a powerful system BIOS viewing utility called RW-Everything.
    Next launch the program.
    Click the "ACPI" picture menu button just below the menu bar.
    It will say building DSDT and you have to wait for a while.
    Once it is ready, Click on the DSDT Tab and press Save as Binary (The Picture of the Floppy Disk with a "bin" word on it or Shift + F2)
    Name it as DSDT.AML)
    and post it here please?

2. mat9v

mat9v MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2008
    No luck with that. My notebook does not have an EFI BIOS, just plain old Insyde (that uses .FD files), decoding with Phoenixtool gives me BIOS00.BIOS file (1MB) and BIOS05.BIOS file (3MB) in size along with a bunch of files in Dump directory. I've been trying to restore my bios for over 2 weeks and have tried more than 20 different tools to flash bios in DOS/Linux, even tried creating some win xp version with gutted ACPI support. If it even booted, then Insyde Flasher could not flash bios, complained of not being able to start driver (or load, I don't remember). Linux flashing was a bust, eRompaq did not detect my board, flas**t complained about FAED, even tried some desperate methods with flashers form other bioses (good that I never tried force flashing on those incompatible beasts.. and really bad that flas**t does not have that option....). The worst problem is that WIN+B method does not work for me.
    I disconnected everything, all external devices, battery, pulled my SSD, secondary HDD, even changed my memory to 1x1GB just for a test. Pulled cord, pressed and hold WIN+B, connected power - the power led blinked, released keys, pressed power, the LED came on and nothing, no activity on flash drive or DVD, nothing, null, nada, grrrrrr.
    I've tried hundreds of combinations with keeping keys pressed for some time, different keys (only WIN+B has that LED blinking effect after conecting power plug).
    After carefull reading linux boot logs it seems that not only DSDT is f**ked up but also XSDT so I do not know what to do, the notebook is worth maybe 300$ and the price for EEPROM flash is about 100$ where I live. So really I would like to find a way to fix it without the premium price.
    Any help would be greatly welcomed :)

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  4. mat9v

mat9v MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2008
    #5 mat9v, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    (OP)
    You are correct, I could buy a SPI programmer (and I did find the same model online, price somewhat higher but I do live in Poland), the problem is I do not know how to take my laptop apart and there is a problem of getting it to the programmer - aren't all the parts surface mounted theses days? - I wouldn't know how to do it, nor do I have tools to soldier it back to the board.
    The method you pointed me to does not work for me - maybe the flash destroyed something in the Emergency Bios Repair part but when I pull battery (everything possible is disconnected), pull power cord, press win+b, keeping it pressed I connect power (power led blinks), keeping it pressed I tap power button - nothing happens. Sure power led comes on, but no other leds, fans don't start, other leds remain off (those on the front panel for sound, wifi and media). There is no flash activity, no sounds from the speaker whatsoever, even DVD does not spin. It does not matter how long (or short) I have the win+b or the power button combination pressed - once I have connected power cord while win+b is pressed my laptop WILL remain silent.
    Abou your questions - I do not know what version the bios was, I just downloaded all the latest version because I was installing Windows 8, so I flashed it, worked great, the I asked here on forum for unlocked version and someone helpfull pointed me in the right direction, downloaded it, flashed it and worked great, some options in bios got unlocked. I wanted too much (apparently :) ) because I used Phoenix tools to upgrade SLIC for Windows 7 (originally it was Vista ready). Flashed it ok, but after reboot Windows refused to boot - the ACPI was fuc--up.
    This 2c in fail.ini is AFAIK there to not flash over that version but I allready had F2.d when flashing. I looked in the bios files and correct recovery name is C0F4.fd but I did every possible combination with .fd .bin .rom and other filenames - it is no use since the flash is never accessed anyway.
    I really hope there is some way to do it from DOS because Bios Recovery does not work here.
    Board ID is 30F4

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if usb is nogo.. spi is only way.. backup the chip.. dload 2d bios. merge with a hexeditor on matching begining. reflash with programmer.

u will need a technician to take appart

6. mat9v

mat9v MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2008
    #7 mat9v, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    (OP)
    Oh well, hoped for some other way.... but must is a must..
    Thank you for your help.

SOLVED:

It seems that there was one thing I did not try to change - the memory modules. Before, I just removed one of my modules to have as "clean" system as possible, but today I thought - well, one last try before taking my machine to the service - and what do you know?, I installed only one 1GB module (completely other than those that were working in the laptop every day) and the update process just started from my prepared flash. 2 series of 16 beeps, first was a loading from flash (by the led behavior) and after few seconds second string started - those were "slower" with bigger "gaps" between beeps. After that (about 5 seconds) the laptop shut down. And All Was Well in my land :) ACPI restored. Although DMAR table is still screwed, fortunately it does not prevent Windows from working like before. Hurray and thanks for all the work other people put to finding the way to flash our laptops.