Desperately trying to install Windows Mail please help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vwgolfman, Sep 30, 2009.

1. vwgolfman

vwgolfman MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2007
  2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Grzyb

Grzyb MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    #3 Grzyb, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  4. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Why not just use Windows Live Mail? It's a major evolution of the Windows Mail/Outlook Express and is superior to Vista's Mail. I highly recommend you try it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Another suggestion: use Outlook. or any of a dozen other mail programs.

6. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Windows Live Mail is really good..

7. marsovac

marsovac MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2008
    #7 marsovac, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    The given instructions for granting full permissions over the Windows Mail folder are completely useless!

The only way to do it is to boot from some Live CD (mini Linux, or miniXP from Hiren's BootCD), and only then you will be able to copy Vista Windows Mail folder over the existing one.
    After you do it, you should apply the attached reg file, in order to be able to set Windows Mail as the default mail client.

That is the way I did it and it works like charm!
    ;)

PS
    Windows Live sucks (compared to Windows Mail)!

Attached Files:

8. RW-One

RW-One MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    People are so welcome to OS change, but resistant to any other.

Try windows live mail ... it's not that hard to setup, can do multiple accounts of any type, and once setup your contacts are online at the live website, so if you trash your local copy, you do not lose them period.

I say this, and I WAS a fanboy of OLE and winmail

9. baskinghobo

baskinghobo MDL Junior Member

Dec 11, 2008
    use thunderbird, beats them all

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    use Thunderbird, in combination with Firefox.

Way better than all that Microsoft CRAP !

Also installation won't give u a brain hammerage...:D

11. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    the windows live mail u can DL with windows live messenger is the same thing as the one u have with vista with same options like outlook express or windows mail from vista.
    i don't see where is the problem and why it's crap.
    if u used windows mail or outlook express, this live version is the same thing.

12. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Thunderbird is a little outdated IMO (at least until v3 shapes up). WLM is a robust client that can holds it own, so don't diss it.

13. bencasina

bencasina MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    thunderbird

are thunderbirds go?????????

14. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Everyone will have there opinion on what works for them. It all boils down to personal preference. I have used both thunderbird and WLM. Thunderbird needs an update where as WLM is already good to go from the start, although once thunderbird gets an update it might be worth looking back into it. But for now i am using WLM.

15. marsovac

marsovac MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2008
    If you don't see the difference between WLM and WM/OE then you must be using single email account!?
    The WLM solution with multiple email accounts, where each account is having it's own separate folders is a bit confusing...

16. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    As i said not *everyone* is going to agree on a mail client. Use what works best for you. If your confused with all the different folders then find something that is less confusing for you.

17. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have to agree, nothing is as easy to configure and use (for my uses) as Outlook Express. Drag a pic into OE and resize it? How? In OE you just grab a corner and drag it to the size you need. I haven't been able to do something that easy with any other client. I've had to resize using another program, then test insert it to see if its still to big. And I would prefer to have the email on my puter or local server, not someone else's server (at least with OE it's not on MS servers at all). I Really don't trust MS enough to have my mail on their servers at all; just call me paranoid :cool:

18. marsovac

marsovac MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2008
    #19 marsovac, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    The title of this thread is "Desperately trying to install Windows Mail please help" so I don't see any point in recommedning other email client programs.
    The starter of the thread must be "desperate" for a good reason!?
    Back on the topic, after trying WLM and Thunderbird I was happy when I found the way (as described in one of the previous posts) to bring back Vista's Windows Mail to my Windows 7 system. It fully suits my needs so I am perfectly happy with it, which was also the original idea of the original thread starter I guess!?
    :D

19. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Windows Mail is obsolete. Live mail replaced it. Why would anyone one want to re-install an obsolete app onto a newer version of windows? (rehtorical). Especially when WLM is a major improvement over Windows Mail.

I dont understand the "desparation" with an obsolete app when there are so many other options.