destroyed laptop and windows 8 activation help

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by batfinks, Sep 20, 2013.

1. batfinks

batfinks MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2011
    a long story short, I dropped my laptop with has windows 8 core pre-installed on it and its in bits after rolling down the stairs... (insurance doesn't cover accidents) :(
    I did make a backup of the activation key for windows 8 core and was wondering can I use that key on another pc such as my desktop ?
    I ask because I actually like windows 8 over windows 7
    I know on old windows 7 laptops I could simply use the COA key underneath to activate it on another pc so im wondering is it possible with windows 8 ?
    thankyou.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    So they only cover you if you break it on purpose ?

3. batfinks

batfinks MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2011
    accidental damage cover was a extra expense I couldn't afford at the time and tbh I didn't think I would require it as I don't/hardly ever move my laptop around.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    They don't have to know you dropped it ;)

Im pretty sure I read someone saying the COA keys work between machines

5. batfinks

batfinks MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2011
    no doubt I require windows 8 core iso, but is it OEM or Retail versions I require or isn't there a difference ?

6. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    If you can clone the disk from the laptop to a new disk, and copy the activated data.dat and tokens.dat to the new disk, you may be able to use it on the other computer. (both laptop and other computer should be the same brand)

7. batfinks

batfinks MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2011
    my laptop is a Samsung and my desktop is custom build. as for the hdd well that's toast also, when I put it into my desktop the drive just makes a constant clicking noise..