DfrgNtfs.exe in Vista SP1

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by petar, Apr 16, 2008.

1. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Has anyone noticed that when you leave the computer for a while a file caled DfrgNtfs.exe is defragmenting the disk in the background, and the moment you touch the mouse or press any key the defragmenting stops.
    I`ve even desabled the manual defragmenting besides the scheduled defragment job, which is allso desabled, but the think runs again, after a while when you leave the computer alone.
    If anyone knows how to shut down this service please answer.
    Thaks :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
  3. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    or you can just disable the defrag service in the task scheduler :p
    no more auto defrag ;)

4. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Darbly thakns for the answer, but the tasks are allready desabled.
    FuzzyMaster, I will first try to disable it thru the registry and if that does not work, rename is the game :)
    Thanks once again for your answers.
    Will report if it works.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Thaks very much, the registry tweak works fine :)

6. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    #6 FuzzyMaster, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
    @petar,
    You are very welcome, glad I could help. :D

@drably,
    Just to clarify, petar had already turned off "scheduled defrag". What he was also trying to stop was "boot optimization", which runs transparently (in background) after you reboot your system. There is no GUI to control it, even though it is the same application used for defrag. When you launch "Disk Defragmenter" (the GUI you click on is Dfrgui.exe), it executes DfrgNtfs.exe in background. :cool:

7. jmatteis

jmatteis MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2008
    I have tried these tweaks, hopefully this works. A while back, my system did this, somehow, I deleted the dfrgntfs.exe file as well as the actual "defrag" on my computer, didn't matter to me, it was now working fast again. After installing SP1 this past week, it is back and I can't for the life of me, delete the dfrgntfs file, or rename it, says I need permission, meanwhile, my account is the admin account, I have even tried in safe mode with no luck! I just want to check with the previous poster, did you do both tweaks? I already had the ENABLE parts value as N, but the other value, was set at 3, so hopefully the 0 shuts it down. I guess only time will tell...