Did anyone figure out how to disable Automatic Driver updates yet?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    All of you pros and modders here I'm sure someone may have figured how to make this work by now......

Basically for me going to Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Installation settings then selecting to never install driver updates from Windows does nothing.....the moment I go online Windows start downloading driver updates which I don't want and there is no way to stop that..

I tried using the Microsoft Tool that allows you to show/hide updates but that only worked for a while then came a Bluetooth Driver update that was forced on me and it wouldn't even how in that Microsoft Tool when I try to hide it....

So how to keep Automatic updates but actually make that feature in the System Properties to never install driver updates work?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. havoque

havoque MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    Have you checked that setting again? Mine kept reverting to auto. It got stuck the way I (and you) want after using DDU to uninstall my Nvidia. DDU informed me that it had made a change, etc.

3. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    no it was a clean install of Windows 10, disabled driver updates from the device installation settings then the moment I went online the driver updates were being downloaded

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ElDiabl0

ElDiabl0 MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2011
    #4 ElDiabl0, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    To prevent drivers from being updated you need to do two things, one disable the setting you did on System > hardware tab, and select "Never install driver software from Windows Update", then you need to hide the actual driver update on Windows Update using wushowhide.diagcab

I can't post links so you'll have to google wushowhide.diagcab

5. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    That's what I did as I mentioned, but after 2 days a new Bluetooth Driver update came that was nagging to be updated and it wouldn't even show in the wushowhide.diagcab tool

6. ElDiabl0

May 31, 2011
    #6 ElDiabl0, Aug 6, 2015
    This is the annoying part. You can't hide future driver updates, so whenever a driver is updated on Windows Update you may have to hide the new version. If wushowhide isn't showing the driver try to reset WU somehow by enabling and disabling Microsoft update or deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder then reboot your computer and run it again...

This is going to give people a lot of headache. I hope Microsoft realizes how much of a problem this is stops forcing optional updates down our throats.

7. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014

You nailed it down, that's what happened exactly.

When I first installed Windows 10, I ran the tool the moment I went online and hid all the driver updates....2 days down the line, it seems another update came out which is what caused this new driver update to show on Windows updates but it wasn't showing in the tool.......and the problem is no other updates were being installled until I had to accept to install the one from Windows update....

I'm surprises all the codes and modders here have left this out and aren't developing a way to actually make the device installation settings actually honor the fact that I don't want any driver updates from Windows :(

8. ElDiabl0

May 31, 2011
    #8 ElDiabl0, Aug 6, 2015
    We should be able to disable driver updates for specific devices. I actually like that we can download drivers for Windows Update and a lot of the time it works as it's supposed to, but a single problematic driver can make the whole system useless.

9. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    That looks like it might work. :clap:I have a laptop that needs a modded driver that's 5 years old. If a Windows Update breaks it, it is a real pain to fix.:mad:

10. slayer9450

slayer9450 MDL Member

Aug 3, 2015
    #11 slayer9450, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    These might be the keys that disables it:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

11. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  12. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    #13 Super Spartan, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I will try that, thanks

13. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    nope, that reg trick has no effect on anything.

14. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
  15. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  16. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014

Understood, but as I understand it you might be better off complaining to nVidia, as according to Microsoft, WU handles only the drivers put into the system by the IHV (nVidia in your case, AMD in mine.) Basically, what they've said is that the device manufacturer determines what will go out through the WU channel for Win10--and that may be why I've gotten no driver overwrites in a long time--AMD doesn't seem to be putting any out other drivers than the ones it releases on the AMD site (the delivery which I prefer, as you evidently do, too.) Probably I'd have a similar experience to yours if for some reason I needed to use an older driver--for instance, AMD's Legacy GPUs that can't use anything newer than Catalyst 12.x (when the latest retail drivers are the Cat 15.10.) I think that Microsoft has really got to make sure that the functionality built into System Properties/hardware/Device Installation settings actually works! I'm assuming they intend it to work else it wouldn't be there! I agree thaat there are still too many gray areas that need clarification--hope we'll get it soon! Wish I had something of more substance to add here...

17. vOzer

vOzer MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2015
  18. TheCandyManHK

TheCandyManHK MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2015
    gpedit.msc

Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation.Now in the RHS pane double click on Prevent Installation of Devices not described by other policy settings.Set it at Enabled. Click Apply / OK.

19. oneLess

oneLess MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2013
    #20 oneLess, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    I had a ~same situation here with an ati vga driver

I solved with

set [NOTIFY TO DOWNLOAD] instead [automatic]
    verified in [settings/update_security/advanced_options/Choose how updates are installed]
    this can be done only with a registry tweak plus restart,
    not manually [I mean not cliking buttons there]
    the tweak can can be found in ... MDL win 10 tweaks ....

sorry . stupid rule , I cannot post links
    solution can be found in post 82 page 9
    set the value to 2
    works here

after restart
    ALL updates will NOT be AUTO installed anymore
    including driver updates
    so , you will be notified
    AND
    you wil can use [MS hide updates tool]
    for solve your driver problem

/edit

plus

Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Installation settings
    then selecting to never install driver updates from Windows
    .... [text is different in my 10576_en_x64_pro now, but this is the idea]

if is a clean install of win 10
    I recommend to do this all settings without/[before set] internet connection
    (win 10 will start your driver update with internet on, immediatly after first boot)

I install old driver
    [the one included in win 10 kit can be also good if you are happy with it]
    [mine for ati from 10240 is not ok, first beta versions were ok :(]
    plus restart
    no problems from this moment here
    ONLY just, I must to do this trick EVERY new insider buid update is coming/installed :worthy:

c