Did I blow it using a free activation of WIN7 using the COA sticker?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FattysGoneWild, Mar 17, 2010.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Before reading up more then I should have. And now that I know how to back up my key/cert that came with my new Compaq/HP. I did use the COA sticker to do a clean install and activation. I imagine it is now locked to this pc and I blew a possible free activation using the COA sticker key on a different machine correct? :(

2. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    i think with the COA you get an unlimited number of activations granted no substantial change in hardware has been done

however, the COA number can be used on up to 5 different machines before it start telling you that it can't be activated online and you'll have to call Microsoft

you should get an imaging program and then do a clean install, put on whatever you want and then make a system image. saves you from activating and installing everything again

3. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    Is COA key similar to Retail key in case of Online Activation?

4. dewnek

dewnek MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    I did the exact same thing on a laptop (forgot to save certificate/key). I got to the point where it told me I had to call Microsoft. I'm not sure if that works or not because I didn't try it

I ended up using OPATool to install one of the certificate/key included in it. seems to be legitimate. haven't heard anything back

5. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    you will get normally 3 activations from a coa key. after this you call ms one time and then it normally will activate another 3 times etc... i have activated coa keys more than 20+ times on some machines. BUT MOST IMPORTANT when you call you tell them something like the motherboard died and you had to reinstall. they will ask how many systems its in use on you MUST tell them ONLY ONE. otherwise its very easy to re activate them. dont worry about it. or use the token restore from paymyrent on the forums

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    Yeah the COA sticker key would not activate online. I had to call MS automated service to get it activated. That is why I thought I might had blown a free activation on another pc.

7. SparrowUnit

SparrowUnit MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    COA Keys from the sticker the OEMAct label don't activate online. This have been disabled by MS soon after XP has come out. However, they activate if you use the corresponding software license certificate matching your SLIC.

8. OmniBlade

OmniBlade MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    No, they don't. You are confusing them with the SLP keys which auto-activate if you have SLIC in your bios and the correct certificate installed. COA keys will always need you to call MS to activate no matter what bios and certificates you have installed as far as I understand.

9. SparrowUnit

SparrowUnit MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    Maybe you haven't tried that is why you think they don't

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Some machines come with preinstalled OEM SLP but only have recovery partition to recovery media they will most likely have OEM COA key on machine, For myselfe i have dell inspiron 530 it came with recovery partition and also OEM SLP Install dvd i don't have OEM COA key on my machine but i do have OEMAct key so i cant activate online and yes MS did stop OEM ACT on XP machines a while back think it was after SP1.

11. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    there in fact are some that 100% do activate online. i have a machine built by clevo by a system builder and it 100% does activate fine online but only so many times. it is not a oemact key either. please do not state things that are false. maybe not all coa do activate online but there are some that do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. gunducirix

gunducirix MDL Novice

May 5, 2009
    I succeed to activate windows vista on non-OEM machine using windows vista COA sticker but failled to activate windows 7 on non-OEM machine using the windows 7 COA sticker.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    OEM Activation

14. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    I did not really see a clear answer on this. Am I able to use the key on my netbook? I am not using the sticker anymore on my main pc that it came with. Since I know how to reinstall using my cert. and key. I went back to using that method. But like I said. Since the pc is completely different and it is a netbook. Would MS not allow activation since it was used once before on the desktop? Also. The key is for 64 bit home premium. Would it work for 32 bit home premium?

15. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Key will work for 32 bit home premium, you will most likely have to call to activate. If asked say you changed the motherboard. Technically it's still against the licence agreement.

Does the netbook not have SLIC 2.1?

16. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks. The netbook has no slic 2.1 It came with XP and it does have bios mod for it though. But. I am to chicken to flash it. I am so pissed at myself for using the key on my pc and not using it on the netbook. I remember having to call and using the automated service and it activated fine on the desktop. I was hoping to avoid speaking to someone at MS if possible.....

17. Jvelo7892

Jvelo7892 MDL Junior Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Well, I just installed 7 on a pc i found in the garbage (that i gave 2 gb of ram :D) i used a key that has never been used, and it said activation online was unsuccessful, so i got on the automated line, key'd in all the numbers, and someone says in a stern voice "you are only using this product key to activate windows on one computer, correct?" or something like that. ofcourse i said yes. :rolleyes:

but just try it. if you dont want to talk to a live person, just hang up if the robot says activation was unsuccessful. microsoft isnt going to stalk you (as far as i know of)

18. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    In the interest of testing a theory.....I walked into one of our big retailers with plenty of PCs on display, found an OEM-Act COA on an Acer tower, copied it down, went home & installed in on my home built tower, went online and it failed activation. then did the phone activation and it went through without me having to declare "My system did a load of updates, when it rebooted, it froze up. I had no choice other than re-install the operating system, yes, it's only on the 1 PC."
    I have used that line at least 30 times over the past few years [XP & Vista all versions] it's good to know it also works with SE7EN !!