Did Microsoft ever release a "Windows 7" DVD that contains both32/64-bit install?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sandman88, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Sandman88

Sandman88 MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2011
    #1 Sandman88, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
    I've been reading about and attempting to create my own "Windows 7 All-In-One" custom DVD. I've learned that you can put both 32-bit and 64-bit images on one DVD and choose which to install. I've actually done my own and tried it and it seems to work great.
    But my question at the moment is simply:
    1)Did Microsoft ever release a "Windows 7 DVD" that contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of their flagship OS "Windows 7"?
    2) If not, why wouldn't they to save, at least a few pennies, on bundling 2 DVDs in every "Windows 7" retail box?
    I know that the retail edition of "Windows 7 Ultimate" contains 2 different DVDs. Both 32-bit and 64-bit editions. This just seems wasteful. But I keep an open mind. Maybe there was a good reason for it.
    The cheapest I have ever bought a DVD is .16 per disc. So, .16 x millions of extra DVDs would have bought me a nice new home. :)

2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I think its the restore/recovery/repair/upgrade? stuff don't work correctly if the iso is bundled or even just multi edition install, sure they could fix that though if they really wanted too.

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    1. No they havent..
    2. People are probably too dumb and dont know what to do when they have two Home Basic, two Home Premium etc on one DVD.. and architecture? Not all know what that is.