Did not find myself... Any help appreciated.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bluescreen, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Maybe a dumb question. (Windows 7 Ultimate)
    I would like to change the background color of the Balloon Tips (when you mouse over icons for example).. I Googled for that and come back with zero response.
    It was so easy with XP. Just a right click on the Desktop..
    Does any tip or utility can do that ? . There is no option into customization menus.
    Thanks in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    You can change the background color ONLY if the balloon tips were rendered using "classic" Windows rendering (i.e., not with a theme DLL). In XP, the default theme DLL (Luna) did not render balloon tips (but they did render things like buttons), and in Vista and beyond, balloon tips were rendered by the default Aero theme DLL. You can't change the balloon tip background for the same reason you can't change button colors.

Your options:
    1) Use Windows Classic
    2) Use a different third-party theme that does not render themed balloon tips
    3) Modify the theme DLL to either change the background image or remove the rendering of balloon tips entirely so that they are rendered classically again

3. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks you for response. :)
    Before to go the hard way, I will check if i can find a third party Theme that does the trick.
    I have no idea where rendering for the balloon tips is located into theme.dll.
    Looking with an hex editor does not help me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...