Different between windows 8 and 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pedmag, Oct 30, 2013.

1. pedmag

pedmag MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2012
    Will some one explain to me what is the different between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Some friends said the different is very big. but no one said to me what are the big different.
    I will appreciated if anyone explain that to me.
    Thank you :biggrin::worthy:

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Windows 8.1 is a major update. :)

Visible change: Return of the start menu button

Updated applications (IE, camera, maps).

4. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    By that they mean command line, right?.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    It's not Linux

6. icehot

icehot MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2007
    The only noticeable thing really is there's now a button to go to that stupid screen of tiles

7. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #7 Superfly, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    #9 pun, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Just a quick search on Google (or whichever engine you prefer) should tell you what you need to know. There are several more customisation options, the store looks better, etc etc.

...or the fact that you can customise those tiles (group them, name the groups, change tile sizes to two new sizes) in that, ahem, "stupid screen of tiles" (for simplicity, the SSoT). Or the various options for the wallpaper in the same SSoT. Or that you can boot directly into the desktop bypassing the SSoT. Or that a little common sense can let you use any desktop app without ever having to make you open the SSoT. Hell, even the Modern apps can be run without having to open the SSoT, and you can close them without having to open up the SSoT. Want to log off? Sure, right-click on The Button That Takes You To The SSoT (TBTTYTTSSoT? I dunno), and you can see the option, no SSoT required. In short, if you know what you want to do, you can spend ages using the system without encountering the SSoT more than once or twice a year. Use keyboard shortcuts and that comes down even further. Pin frequently used programs to taskbar. Create shortcuts for essential programs you use often. Several tasks covered here, stuff an average user can do, and you're complaining that the only noticeable thing is just a start button blabla...? Some advice, mate.

Grow up, kids. Is the flashy stuff all that you can see?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. icehot

icehot MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2007
    #10 icehot, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Everything you mentioned that's new is the damn SSoT. I've got start is back to avoid it, but other than that the same old things from Windows 8 that I liked are still there, ribbon on explorer, hyper-v, better task manager etc... You can keep the SSoT and whatever enhancements you're on about, but you can't even right click on a tile and get the items properties anymore ffs, and then of course there's still the moving the mouse around like an idiot to the corners to do anything useful.. I don't want a touch interface, I want a mouse interface.

Have you ever tried even using this interface at work with ILO or RDP or anything like that with multiples of those windows open? Trying to align your mouse cursor to those corners and having to be almost pixel perfect, and then back up to the top right of the screen to click the user name to sign out on? It's tonnes of extra movement for no good reason at all.

10. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    ...there's also a keyboard, and there are some keyboard shortcuts to do a lot of stuff. Those shortcuts are available at the other end of a quick search. Just sayin'.

Admitted, there's a lot of unwarranted movement required in 8.1. I'm not saying 8.1 is perfect, I'm only saying it deserves a better deal. But yeah, if they came up with any OS that did everything I wanted it to, and did it perfectly, I would willingly give up an arm and leg to get it. (JK, I'd rather pirate it :D)

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I actually like seeing the metro start screen when I power up the computer first thing in the morning or on restart.
    I have never used third party software (free or paid) to bring the start button (except to see what they are about). For shutdown/restart, there is a shortcut created on desktop/start menu. Other logon/sign is thru traditional ctrl+alt+delete.
    Frequently accessed programs launcher shortcut are in user files folder created in the libraries. Plus there is also the windows button to get to start button where installed software has an icon. I find the start screen to be useful but rarely use it. I find start screen and user files folder to be quicker than the traditional start button in win 7/xp/vista. Number of clicks are the same.
    Even in my limited usage of win 8.1, I never used the option of booting to desktop.

12. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    <rant>
    8 removes a start button, people go batsh!t insane trying to get it back. Fair enough. The start button returns, people still go apesh!t trying to get it out. If you liked 8, use 8. If you like 7, use 7. If you like 8.1, fine, use it!
    8.1 lets you customise more, and that's the extent to which doorknob users will notice.
    </rant>

13. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Start button for me is useful but the absence of that never really bothered me much (except early on) in 8. So 8.1's start button is not big deal for me.
    What matters for me in 8 and 8.1 is the native hardware support. I find 8 to be supportive of far more hardware as compared with 7. I reserve my opinion for 8.1 for later.

14. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Just curious. Since Windows 8.1 is a major update, Why M$ did not change it's bootup to show 8.1, insead it just say Windows 8. In Properties, yes, it did say 8.1 but logo and startup/bootup still 8. Any possible way to edit so it 8.1?

thx

15. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Think of 8.1 as 8, SP1. AFAIK there's some thread that lets you customise the boot logo, but I don't really care because I hardly ever see it. :D