Different versions of Vista Business?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mr3dd123, Jan 28, 2014.

1. mr3dd123

mr3dd123 MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    #1 mr3dd123, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Hi,

I normally make my posts too long, so I'll cut to the chase here, then explain what I'm trying to do below :)

Is the image (or WIM) of Vista business in this file:
    Windows Vista Business with Service Pack 2 VL (x64) - DVD (English)
    different to the version found in the Universal Vista discs. I'm only asking because that file name has "VL" (volume) in it, and I wondered if that affected the final image (or WIM).

And the long version:
    I'm trying to make a Vista AIO disc, using the "imagex /export" tool on the following copies of Vista:
    Windows Vista Enterprise with Service Pack 2 (x64) - DVD (English)
    Windows Vista Enterprise with Service Pack 2 (x86) - DVD (English)
    Windows Vista Business with Service Pack 2 VL (x64) - DVD (English)
    Windows Vista Business with Service Pack 2 VL (x86) - DVD (English)
    Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 (x64) - DVD (English)
    Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 (x86) - DVD (English) <-- (import the rest into here).

I did all that, and had 15 images within my final WIM. I made this into an ISO and booted it in virtualbox. I compared the license agreement for 'normal'/retail Business vs the one from the VL image, and the little code thing at the bottom (something like BUS_RTL v.1) was identical. Furthermore the image is just slightly too large to fit on a DVD5, so if it turns out the Business VL ones aren't necessary, that would solve all my problems!

Many thanks.

Edit: I used "imagex /info" on my final AIO WIM. I compared the file count for both editions, and they differed, as did the totalbytes. So if anybody knows anything more that'd be useful, but someone can probably close this thread.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Never heard of Windows Vista Business with Service Pack 2 VL a normal vista disk contains all versions of vista except Enterprise.