Dim LCD on Acer laptop :(

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by icewater, Apr 8, 2010.

1. icewater

icewater MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    This is a crazy problem. The LCD screen on my Acer Aspire 5160z is dim. I figured it was either the LCD back-light or the power inverter. I have replaced the whole LCD and back-light, the inverter and the LCD cable, all with new pieces. The LCD is still dim. Everything works on an external monitor but the main LCD is dim and cannot be adjusted. I have hooked the LCD up to another laptop and it work fine on it.

Any ideas?

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Have you checked the power saving options in control panel ? It may seem an obvious question but one worth checking. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. icewater

icewater MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    Thanks for the input. I have checked that and set everything back to default and even removed the Acer power management software. Im stumped at this point.

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    If memory serves me correctly, when power saving is set to default then laptop screens run dimmed down unless the power cord is connected. This option can be changed in poiwer saving options in control panel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. icewater

icewater MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    I do have the power supply connected but the screen isn't dim as if it were unplugged. The LCD is dim as if the inverter is out. But its not, even the BIOS screen is barely visible when the laptop boots.

6. dmaffy

dmaffy MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2010
    ive had this prob on a diffrent laptop isnt just a case of pressing the (fn) button and then screen brightness on the (F KEYS) mine were (F7 & F8)

7. icewater

icewater MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    That the first thing I tried but the screen is much dimmer than that allows.