DirectAccess - Is it easy to setup?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Leica, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I have two computers at home (my server running Windows Server 2016 and my home computer running Windows 10 Enterprise) that I would like to access from my laptop (running Windows 10 Enterprise) when I am not at home.

So in theory, "DirectAccess" would fit the bill perfectly! So I tried to get it all setup... until I came across "hell" in the form of "certificates" and what not. It terrified me... :fear: and I quit :(

So my question is, is there an easy way to setup "DirectAccess", that provides me with both access to my home computers and VPN in general?

Thanks!

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    RDP aka remote desktop with custom ports forwarded in modem to each pc.
    portforward.com (dont dload stuff tho)

3. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I don't think that is a secure way to do it. Besides, I need the VPN part. Thanks anyway.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DonLapeno

DonLapeno MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2011
    Why we even talking about Sonicwalls and such, you can set up VPN services in Windows Server. Over kill and many devices such as Sonicwall, Cisco and other with VPN systems are no more secure than open source VPN solutions or Windows VPN services, it is all about how it is set up.

Or you could just use say pfsense in a VM or another linux variation and use OpenVPN as the server side and be done with it.

Remote Desktop open to the internet is not ideal, you def always want to try and have a VPN tunnel or something more secure.

Direct Access does require legit SSL certs and external DNS records to work properly.

6. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    @ Leica

You can use "TeamViewer" it is FREE for home users (just google for it).