disable system restore

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by cicciored, Jan 13, 2017.

1. cicciored

cicciored MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    which command to disable system restore that occurs each time you start the operating system Windows 10 pro ?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If such a thing occurs, it means that your Windows is not okay, it is damaged and something must be every time to restore. If everything is ok, there isn't never no restoring needed and it doesn't happen never.
    The best way to get rid of it is to do a clean install. Otherwise the thing will go worse with each passing day, and one day the windows will not start at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Even if you turn system Restore off, there are a lot of programs out there that when you download and install them turn it back on.
    You also could try running in Admin Cmd Prompt: sfc /scannow Enter on keyboard
    Admin Cmd Prompt: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Enter on keyboard

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    gpedit.msc > computer configuration > administrative templates > system > system restore > turn off system restore / set to enabled

:eek:

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    You can disable system protection (restore) also from Control Panel > Recovery.

If you're worried about the disk space usage, you can reduce that to zero.

Whether the above are wise actions, it'a your decision.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #6 TairikuOkami, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP\Clients" /v "{09F7EDC5-294E-4180-AF6A-FB0E6A0E9513}" /f
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR" /Disable

Minimum is 1% or 320MB. Zero can not be set.

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=1%

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I've been following this thread since it was new and I'm with kaljukass. You can turn off system protection easy enough, but that's like giving a heart attack victim an aspirin and sending him on his way ... there is some underlying cause that needs to be addressed. We can certainly tell the OP how to disable system protection, but there is something wrong here. Why would any Windows computer initiate a protective act every time it starts up? Sooner or later something is going to either break completely with accompanying data loss, or the system will become intolerable to use.

Since the OP has not commented again since his initial short post #1, I'm beginning to suspect trolling. But maybe not.

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Indeed, not only the OP message is short and cryptic, but it is normally expected for its poster to come back with feedback/clarifications/thanks. I wouldn't go as far as to suspect trolling, but the absence of response is certainly not good manners towards those who tried to help him.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    If his system was running a bad system restore, it has most likely been disabled already, so he can not respond. :glare:

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Well, yeah ... like I said: "Sooner or later something is going to either break completely with accompanying data loss, or the system will become intolerable to use"

So you believe the system has become unusable at this point. I can buy into that.

No matter, I have nothing else to say that's even remotely useful so I'll revert to just reading waiting.

11. cicciored

cicciored MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    the problem was hdd which was replaced for bad sectors but the problem reoccurs at every boot

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #12 kaljukass, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    You can control the disk in order to find and improve the bad sectors and then cancel disk check every time when Windows starts. Do it manually sometimes, if have some doubts.

• If You'll not disable, disk check runs every time when Windows starts and/or restarts.
    • If You have large drives, it may take very long time and most of all, it repeats on every time, if Windows starts.

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    In control panel, administrative tools/event viewer, what does it say happened? :confused:

14. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    But if the HDD was replaced, it shouldn't be the problem. In any case, do a disk check and see what it finds. Just bear in mind that too many such checks, e.g. on every start, do no good to the disc. They should be performed sparingly and only when needed.

If the disk is OK, you should check your RAM.

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

If the disk was cloned the bad sector table was cloned as well, you need to reevaluate the bad sector list using chkdsk /B