Disable the Start button in 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by thorbsd, Jun 29, 2013.

1. thorbsd

thorbsd MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2013
    #1 thorbsd, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    I have my taskbar pinned to the left side of the screen, and it seems there is no way to disable the start button.

If I have the start button in the top left corner (which is fine - I can deal with it), the start charm shouldn't still be available in the bottom left.
    If I don't have the start button, than the charm is fine.

Why can't we turn off the start button? What was MS thinking with this setup? It's totally useless unless you keep their taskbar on the bottom!

2. HumansCan'tBeTrusted

Aug 7, 2012
    When Microsoft removed start button everyone was shouting "Give us back start button", now people hates it? :D

3. thorbsd

thorbsd MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2013
    I think it was the start menu that people wanted. What good is a button that takes you to the screen that people didn't want?

I didn't really care either way, but to have the button locked in place, and not being contextually aware is just poor design.

4. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    :rip: startmenu, you've been replaced for a tablet interface :sorry:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    MS knows exactly what people want, but everyone yelled BUTTON, not MENU! haha, some shifty work on MS's part. Gotta laugh! you GOTTA!

6. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    The start button is back, and it should be making your life easier, it's a larger click target to get to the start screen and to right click to get the power user menu, so stop complaining :D

7. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    but has some way to disable it by regedit or somewhere?
    :confused:

8. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    From what I've seen, you can set it to bring up just your apps rather than the whole Metro UI if you don't want that, or downgrade back to 8 & never accept the update :p

9. Willardtechman

Willardtechman MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2013
    By pass Windows 8.1 Start button

I was able to by-pass the Windows 8.1 start button and bring up the standard menu with Classic Shell. In the options menu, just enlarge the Classic Shell button to 75 or so. You will find that it works just fine.

10. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Also, there will be a new version of ClassicShell soon (today?) that solves the problem of the useless 8.1 button being visible "behind" the ClassicStart button.

11. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Tested the latest TEST build by Tihiy (v6) and i´m very optimistic, it´s mostly functional and even skinned by Window Blinds :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    s1ave77, are you talking about ClassicShell or ex7forw8? ClassicShell will have a new version, I was (beta-)testing that myself just now, I guess we'll hear from Ivo soon enough.
    Are you "shure" we're talking about the same thing? (Hey, maybe now's the time you change from "shure" to "sure", I'm sure you can take a little "pestering" from me, can't you?!)

13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Talking about StartIsBack :D. Surely can take this...:cool2:.

14. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    :rolleyes::yeahright: Its not the old start button/start menu. Its just a shortcut (which launch the stupid phone interfase) thats more annoying to have it than no to have it :doh:

15. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Oh I'm definitely one of those people who shouted for the start button to be BACK. hahaha :busted_blue:

16. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Win-X rules, beautiful feature. Why the start button put back? Beats me.

17. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    I agree with the person from Twilight saga, but I have to say that "start button" for Metro screen is crap anyway.
    The main problem is not like "button/no button", the main thing is what that button shows.
    I not happy with the button if it brings Start screen instead of start MENU.
    sucks.

18. DeityLizard

DeityLizard MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2013
    I've been testing the 8.1 preview for the last few days with the following settings:

Right-click the taskbar, Properties, Navigation
    Under "Corner navigation" remove all check marks.
    Under "Start screen" check the following:

1) Go to desktop instead of Start when I sign in
    2) Show my desktop background on Start
    4) Show the Apps view automatically when I go to Start
    5) Search everywhere instead of just my apps when I search from the Apps view
    6) List desktop apps first in the the Apps view when it's sorted by category

Leave the 3rd option with no check mark and the first time you see the apps screen, sort your apps by category.

Also you can now right-click on the bottom left corner to shutdown/restart.

I find the above configuration in 8.1 a huge improvement over Windows 8. I'm really looking forward to the final release.