Disabling Auto Play in Group Policy Editor does nothing

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    This has been the same also on Windows 7/8/ and now 10

When I install the OS, the first thing I do is to disable Auto Play then head over to Group Policy Editor under Administrative Templates and disable Auto Play from there as well.

After installing PowerDVD 15 Ultra, I would notice that Auto Play has been enabled so how was it able to override the Group Policy settings?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    did you apply the group policies with gpupdate? I use xpAntispy to disabled autoplay, it just works.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    #3 timster, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    I disabled Autoplay in the Settings app.

I'll grab a copy of PowerDVD 15 Ultra and try and repro what you've described

edit:: Autoplay was not re-enabled after I installed PowerDVD 15 Ultra

4. Drexl

Drexl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2007
    This is probably a stupid question, but did you do it correctly? In the GP editor, in "Turn off Autoplay," I think you need to Enable it, and then in the box on the lower left it will have a menu where you choose what kinds of drives you want to turn it off on. (Select "all drives.")

There's also a "Set the default behavior for Autorun" which works the same way. Select Enabled, and then in the menu "Do not execute any autorun commands."

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Control Panel > Autoplay, set all to "take no action" fixed it for me. Group policy editor didn't seem to do the trick for me either.

6. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    yeah man the All Drives option is the default option and I did set it to enabled. Give it a few reboots and Auto Play is reenabled.