Disabling CSM (Legacy) support in UEFI

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by x86, Mar 17, 2018.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @x86

Any task which isn't optimised for pure UEFI environment, such as working with some addon cards with legacy option roms.

3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Thank you Tito. But I can still disable CSM, install W10 - and if I ever need to re-enable it - it should be OK, right?
    In such case, would it cause any issue to the OS if I was to re-enable Legacy support at a later stage?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    You can't boot any MS-DOS tool without CSM support enabled. For example, hdat2 to check and repair bad hard disks.
    Always keep CSM support disabled unless your hardware/software doesn't work without it. You can switch between CSM on and off if your windows is installed in UEFI / GPT mode. BIOS / MBR will fail to boot with CSM disabled

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Clear. I ll fresh install Win10 x64 in pure UEFI and then - if needed - I ll turn CSM on (if such demand arises). Haven't had to boot any DOS-based tool for a looong time. It was only needed recently, when I used the Secure Erase Samsung utility.

I created this post, because I thought enabling CSM would (somehow) alter the behaviour of the installed OS, by adding unnecessary burden (to a UEFI compliant OS - such is Win10...). My assumption was wrong.

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    As you've speculated already, no - there shouldn't be any issue.

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    no need to wipe fresh.. convert to GPT and that should do it.

8. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Sorry - I was refering on a new build. There's currently no OS on it, so fresh install is only option.

9. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    There's no need for CSM unless you require legacy compatibility.

10. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    If you are installing Windows 10 on Z87 and newer chipsets, disabling CSM is the best way forward to have a true UEFI booting system which not only boots faster but is slightly more secure.

Things needed for True UEFI boot:
    1. Disable CSM in BIOS. (Some motherboards like MSI don't have a straightforward way to disable CSM but there you need to disable Windows 7 boot mode and use Windows 8/10 WHQL mode)
    2. Make bootable Windows 10 USB with Rufus and select GPT partition scheme for UEFI
    3. Format your hard drive and convert it to GPT style

How to format your hard drive?
    Click repair at the beginning of Windows 10 setup and start command prompt.
    Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (whichever disk you want to use for installing windows)
    clean
    convert gpt
    Proceed to install Windows

I am on this mode for 3 years and I absolutely don't see a reason to enable CSM ever again unless I am installing Windows 7 for teh lulz.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I don't get why people always feel the need to use all kinds of hoops to get a system installed.

When you boot up from a FAT32 formatted USB containing the extracted ISO and you're running with pure UEFi settings. you just have to delete all existing partitions on the system drive and repartition, it will repartition with the UEFI partition table.
    You only need to keep all other hdd's disconnected for being able to do this, on laptops there is most likely just one drive so that shouldn't be a problem.

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm here I always make install in UEFI mode with my SSD and several hdd"s and never had issues

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If you don't switch partitioning tables, there will be no problem ;)

14. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Yeah and it will size the partitions using parameters which are not even optimal per Microsoft's partition layout guidelines. Just spend the additional 2 minutes to create a script or set up a device so the disk layout is optimal, for crying out loud.

For systems that I physically install an OS on, or when I do not want to fiddle with an unattend.xml or cannot access my network for some reason, I usually just toss a DiskPart script into the USB and run it at the setup screen, where it quickly formats any drives to the specifications within.

Code:
    select disk 0
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition efi size=100
    format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
    create partition msr size=128
    create partition primary
    shrink minimum=500
    format quick fs=ntfs label="WinOS"
    assign letter="C"
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="WinRE"
    set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
    gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
    list volume
    exit

Here's a very basic one with proper partition sizes and assigns the Recovery (WinRE) partition as the last partition on the drive. The "shrink minimum=500" can be adjusted depending on the size of your recovery image, as some use custom recovery images as opposed to Windows' default one. Or that line can be appended so it creates a new partition for the recovery drive in whatever location one needs. Just make sure the "select disk 0" is changed to the disk you are installing Windows on. "WinOS" and "WinRE" can also be changed to whatever partition names desired. Save the file as "CreatePartitions.txt" and place it at the root of your USB drive.

To run it, you just Shift+F10 at the setup screen to bring up DOS-prompt, navigate to the root of the USB drive and type "diskpart /s CreatePartitions.txt" and it will quickly create all the partitions assigned. If it says it cannot assign drive letter 'C' because it's not available, just continue to install Windows and it will automatically set the Windows drive as 'C' after installation completes.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Oh there is "social interaction extraordinaire." with more useless info.

16. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    #17 pcnavarra, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Personaly i never tryed to install windows 10 in UEFI boot with a HardDrive larger then 2TB.
    But i guess the windows 10 setup should Partition it in GPT.