Disabling hibernation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kitsigns, Mar 1, 2014.

1. kitsigns

kitsigns MDL Junior Member

Oct 31, 2012
    What's the difference between "powercfg.exe /hibernate off" and "powercfg -h off"?

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Nothing. Does same thing.

3. kitsigns

kitsigns MDL Junior Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Thank you :)

4. Good to double check that hiberfil.sys is deleted

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Disabling hibernation in Windows 8 or 8.1 will make the FAST BOOT / FAST SHUTDOWN feature not work.

Windows 8 is not like 7, any messing around with its core components and your OS is crippled

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Nothing gets crippled. There's no harm in turning off hibernation. You don't get hybrid boot. Big deal. If your using a 120GB SSD & have 32gb of ram, it's a huge saving in space & little impact on boot up time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    no thanks, I chose 8 over 7 for these bells and whistles.. if you wanna disable everything, might as well go back to your shabby windows 7

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yeah, it's a neat feature. Turning off hibernation does not cripple the system. "Disable Everything" ? What are you talking about?

This is not a hack/reg tweak etc. It's a simple windows command that turns hibernation on/off.
    Since my personal system is always busy, it never goes to sleep, hibernation or even gets switched off...

Sorry, gone off topic...

9. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    / off topic

Sorry to interrupt guys :eek:
    But isn't is best to disable hibernation on systems with SSD's anyway ???
    Or was that just for Windows 7 and below ?

/on topic

10. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    According to the maker of the SSDs I have, yes it is best to keep the drive as free as possible.
    I also turn off pagefile. JMO.

11. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi bchat,
    Long time no see, talk, type... :biggrin:

Thanks for the info.
    Never had an SSD yet, but thinking about getting a cheap small one to resurrect an old Netbook
    just to mess around with.

12. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Turning off pagefile can cause issues with 32 bit programs.
    I'm sure you've weighed the +s and -s though...

13. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I always put my system on high performance and turn off hibernation.
    Really it has only 2 uses.

1) speed up laptop booting by using the kernel memory space saved to hiberfil.sys
    2) put your system in a hibernated state after x minutes

My system doesn't even have the fastboot option, so the booting thing doesn't work for me.
    I also typically only leave my system on when seeding a torrent, so it's not something I prefer to get hibernated.

14. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I have never had an issue with any of the programs...so far. I believe you need a certain amount of RAM to make up for the pagefile, not sure. SSDs are like women, I don't understand much about them, just like playing with'm...:D

15. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    My Surface 2 pro has that kind of SSD on board. It came directly from Microsoft and has hibernation enabled as default setting. If it were a problem for the disk MS wouldn't ship self-made product that way, no? :rolleyes:

16. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    If you never put the machine to sleep, you don't need hibernation, do you? I either have my machines on or off, no in between - my preference.

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    same here: I either let them run 24/7 or shut them down completely. I only wanted to say that MS should know about possible damage of SSDs by using hibernation

18. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    #18 bchat, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    I don't think it is a damage thing as much as a space saving issue. When I got my 2nd SSD, an OCZ, I started hanging around their forum and at one point it was suggested to keep the drive no more than 1/2 full. I believe this produced the best performance/maintenance situation. This was a trick by guys who wanted to squeeze the last bit of speed out of the drive. I think the newer drives are much less sensitive. I automatically disable hibernation when I install an OS now out of habit.

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    saving disk space, I fully agree

20. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #20 Enigma256, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    1) Fast startup / hybrid shutdown is a tool for newbies. It is the exact same as log off + hibernate, and you'll notice that Microsoft removed hibernate from the shutdown UI by default. Why? Because people didn't understand the difference between sleep and hibernate. It was a point of confusion for many newbie users. Also, many users have been trained to "shut down" the system when, really, hibernate and sleep are better than shutting down. So Microsoft compromised: sleep is still sleep, and now hibernate and shutdown have been merged into logoff+hibernate and renamed to shutdown. This removes the confusion and gets people to use hibernate instead of shutdown, which really is better, IMO.

2) But for advanced users, this is silly. When I shut down, I want a full shutdown, not a hibernate. That's because the (very few) times I invoke shutdown, it's because I need a shutdown. E.g., if I'm shutting the system down to change hardware. Hybrid shutdown would not be a good idea here (but hey, this is a use case that most computer users will never encounter). And if I hibernate, I want my system state saved! I don't want to log off when I hibernate. If I did, I'd rather manually log off before hitting hibernate.

Hey, you know what's even faster than "fast startup" (really, I wish advanced users will stop calling it that and call it what is really is: "logoff/hibernate")? Startup from a true hibernate, because you don't have to restart and reinitialize all your userland processes!

The default of sleep + logoff/hibernate makes absolutely no sense for an advanced user, when compared to the traditional sleep + hibernate + full shutdown. It's a great idea for your grandmother and for the typical casual computer user, though, which is why it's the default. In case you haven't figured out by now, defaults are usually optimized for casual users because they never go exploring all the different settings, and advanced users are fully capable of changing the settings to something that's more reasonable for them.

As for hibernation on a SSD, you do realize that SSD endurance is very high, relative to the wear from hibernation, right? Esp. since that hibernate, being a simple sequential dump to disk, has no write amplification. Unless you are hibernating many times every single day of the year, it will not come remotely close to "destroying" your SSD. And while I usually use sleep, I do sometimes use hibernate: for example, if I need to open the computer to do some dusting, I want to remove power from the system, but I don't want to have to close and later restart all my programs, so I hibernate. Or if I'm traveling, and won't be using the laptop for several hours, hibernate means less drain on the battery than sleep.